We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

VAX VACUUMS

Through the years I have purchased many Vax units through the Promos offered here on MSE, all have worked quite well when new out of the box, however over a longer term most have proved to be inferior products with the last two having to be returned under warranty.

Recently I was to buy a Gtech AirRam Vacuum this is a world apart more of a Rolls Royce unit when compared with any former Vax unit I have had in the past, it is both well designed and well made plus very comfortable in use unlike these top heavy Vax stick units.

MSE could be doing everyone a favour by not promoting anything of the Vax Brand.

Comments

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,181
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    We've had our vax vacuum for 9 years with no issues. The previous one, also a vax, lasted 11 years before we replaced it. Maybe you've been unlucky.

  • ButterCheese
    ButterCheese Posts: 950
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    We also had a Vax that didn't last. And a Gtech that broke. It might have been lack of user maintenance I guess, I recall the Gtech cot entirely clogged and started smoking. I could have taken it apart and probably fixed it but my partner threw it out because it just wasn't up to the task when you have pet hair.

    We've since had a Dyson and it's still going after 2 years of heavy use. What's nice now is that you can buy many cheap aftermarket parts like air filters and hose accessories

  • Baldytyke88
    Baldytyke88 Posts: 1,167
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Maybe the OP should wait a year and see if her Gtech is still the topdog. I have had a small Vax and it was poor.

    I still love my Dyson 04

  • dave2212
    dave2212 Posts: 2
    Seventh Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Newbie

    I guess I should have mentioned I am talking of the very latest of both the Vax and Gtech units, I have two Vax units both still under warranty with both being replaced under this warranty, one of which is the Pet Design Homepro which has to be the worst of all and clogs up continuously. this Homepro is a warranty replacement for a previous one that is no longer made although this would still not be 3yrs of age if it was still working today, so out of 3 owned within this last 2 bit yrs two have broken down and been replaced as mentioned under warranty, and the Homepro replacement is just a nuisance as it needs quite a strip down to access all the areas that clog up.

    The Gtech I now have for just the duration of a few weeks really is a world apart from these Vax machines and as the dust tank is as close as can be to the floor there seems to be a lot lest chance of this ever clogging? as long as this tank is emptied frequently I cannot ever see this being a problem.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.