We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Loan Choice Help please
Good Afternoon,
I'm looking to take out a loan to purchase a new family car. It will be a used vehicle with a maximum spend of £9000 - over a 4 or 5 year period.
I have £5000 saved already. The options/dilemma i have is do i take a:
1 - Loan for £4000 out at a higher rate percentage (around 9.5%)
2 - or take out a loan for £9000 at a lower rate (around 6% with Tesco's) and then a couple months in to the term make an over payment of £5000.
Tesco's advise that if you make a over-payment it just brings down the overall length of the loan period OR you can speak to them to ask them to bring down the monthly payment cost instead.
I'm not very good with this and was wondering which would be the best/cheapest way of doing it? I'm not overly fussed on the sum i pay back, its about keeping the monthly cost as low as possible.
I didn't know if there was a way of working it out? Any advice would be appreciated.
Adi.
Comments
-
I'm not very good with this and was wondering which would be the best/cheapest way of doing it?
The cheapest way of doing it is to buy a £5,000 car and avoid the loan altogether.
2 -
I agree, please don`t borrow what you don`t really need, more recent petrol vehicles in particular, will be wet belt, which require much more maintenance, and a belt change every 40,000 plus they are rubbish, and should be avoided.
You will be much better off with a 10 year old family car, dry belt, long maintenance schedule, last you another 10 years at least if you pick a good one, todays ICE cars are really bad compared to a few years ago, a deliberate attempt by the motor industry to ween us off petrol and into a battery car, my own opinion of course.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter0 -
The lowest cost way to fund the full loan you've outlined is the Tesco method. And if you want to maintain the term and reduce the monthly commitment, then that's that lowest monthly cost out of the options that you've outlined.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

