We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Life assurance - keep going or with or without indexation?

My OH has a life assurance policy taken out 30+ years ago. The intention at the time was to provide cash if the worst should happen to pay the mortgage/ support me while the kids were growing up etc.

Now the mortgage is cleared and the kids are self sufficient. So its original purpose is no longer.

However, it is in place and obviously over the years a lot of money has been paid in to it, so it seems silly to lose it all.

Each year there is the (default) option to increase the sum assured in line with inflation. So the sum assured increases. Though the sum assured increases by less than the monthly premiums eg this year the sum assured increases by 3.4% and the monthly premium by 4.1%. Once you opt out of increasing the sum assured the option is gone for good.

So my questions:

a) should we continue to increase the sum assured each year or leave it at the current level

b) is there anything I'm missing.

For context, we are early 60s and the sum assured is currrently 125 times the annual premiums.

I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
«1

Comments

  • mrklaw
    mrklaw Posts: 418 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 30 July at 4:18PM

    keeping ours - runs out at 65 but when we moved house 20+ years ago we renewed the life insurance to be flat so its a nice bit of income cover until 65. if one of us dies early, that helps with the loss of a state pension. If I die early it helps with one state pension and 50% of my DB.

    Also its relative peanuts having taken it out decades ago. About £30 joint cover for £250k. Keeping it as long as possible - life insurance once your’e over 55 gets expensive fast.

    as for indexing specifically though - I’d model what both look like. if you don’t need the money but its useful additional income I’d probably skip the indexing

  • NormalNorman
    NormalNorman Posts: 214 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    I was wavering too thinking no mortgage, kid grownup, cover from two jobs but came to my senses thanks to mrklaw.

  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,417 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper

    We must have a different type of policy, this is over £400 a month for £600k. So it isn't peanuts.

    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • StewedApple
    StewedApple Posts: 232 Forumite
    100 Posts Name Dropper

    For context, we are early 60s and the sum assured is currrently 125 times the annual premiums.

    You could look at similar cover from other insurers and compare costs. This may assist in your decision. It then becomes more a question of do you want/need life insurance and is this policy value for money?

  • mrklaw
    mrklaw Posts: 418 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    when you mentioned indexing I did wonder. is yours a whole life insurance or similar? I was looking into those along with family income benefit schemes which pay out a yearly amount for X years - both to cover the gap if one of us dies. but they were really expensive. Mine is a simple level term insurance policy - I assumed those were standard for things like mortgage cover and relatively inexpensive to take out in your 30s.

    having said that - £600k is a lot more cover than I have. £5k a year is a lot to pay if you don’t need the income and have planned without it. I’d be tempted to drop it as it could be something like 10-15% of your annual spending

  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,417 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper

    It must be whole life insurance as there is no end date. So eventually, if you carry on with the payments it will payout.

    I wonder if there’s an option to make it paid up ie future payments come out the sum built up, until it is all gone.

    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,417 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper

    the problem with dropping it now is it means losing out on all the money we’ve put in.

    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,721 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    You are going to need to read the policy documents to see how it works. If it is pure life assurance then if you stop the premiums the life cover will stop. But I think you can have whole life policies where some of the premium builds up an investment pot - maybe there is a surrender value?

  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,662 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    You shouldn't think of it that way. Your premiums have given you peace of mind for a number of years. It's insurance against the unexpected, not savings

  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,417 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper
    edited 30 July at 8:14PM

    It’s an assurance policy, not insurance. When I’ve been paying £400 vs £40 that others have been paying, I’ve clearly been paying for something extra.

    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.