We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

interest only mortgage retired

phoneguru1
phoneguru1 Posts: 11 Forumite
Fourth Anniversary First Post
edited 30 July at 12:48PM in Mortgages & endowments

hi i get my full state pension also i high pip award and i run a part time business from my home on my desktop pc ,,,i have many years of accounts i have a interest only mortgages with TMB which is £25.0000 i have to pay off off in dec this year… no bad credit at all . house is worth around £450,000 + looking to pay my old mortgage off and get another £25,000 to update kitchen bathroom etc , who is the absolute best for rates etc , and no hidden clauses or pitfalls , cheers in advance

Comments

  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,078 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament

    A broker. And I say that as a broker who does not do this type of mortgage.

    You are asking the wrong question. Which means you are likely to end up with the wrong answer. A broker will ask you the right questions to get the right answer and the best outcome for you.

    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 11,287 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper

    Agreed, you need a broker who specialises in the various retirement products, then once the right product is identified for your particular needs you can look at the pros & cons of the different lenders.

  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,078 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    edited 31 July at 9:13AM

    Sorry, I have just read my reply. It makes me look right grumpy doesnt it.

    I think its because I HATE it when I get a call asking for the lowest rate.

    It dosnt take account of fees, fixed/variable, tie in period, any other requirements - these are the right questions.

    I always say that any idiot (and I am not calling you an idiot btw) can find the cheapest rate - slightly different in your situation as you do not want a mainstream mortgage.

    But you mention hidden pitfalls - taking out a rate of 2% with a £15k fee for a £50k mortgage would be a bit silly. But ultimately it answers your actual question, which is why I was saying you are asking the wrong questions. A broker will help you to figure out what you actually want because odds are that it wont be the cheapest rate.

    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 11,287 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper

    Also plenty of different options with these types of product and while I wouldn't describe them as 'pitfalls' or 'hidden clauses', it is wise to get some help navigating those options to get the best fit for particular needs.

    Some retirement products will require a monthly repayment, with others it can be optional.

    Understanding the limits on the ability to pay down the mortgage and how that can vary over time is another difference.

    Perhaps a retirement product is not even needed, or perhaps the home business is not sustainable for the future, all of these will make a difference when picking the correct product and a broker can help with that.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.