We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Is my tax correct

I usually use UK salary calculator and find it to be usually very accurate, but I think this time it might be wrong.

I'm also not good with maths or numbers, so part of this is to aid my understanding too.

Last month I was paid a £2203 annual bonus. My normal salary is £49843. Tax code 1257L and I'm in Alpha pension paying 5.45% contributions.

UK salary calculator said I should pay 1016.57 tax but may find an extra £388.18 is deducted due to the higher rate tax, but this is usually refunded in future months.

I actually paid £1299.20

I have tried using Google AI and I just keep getting different numbers.

Have I paid the right amount or too much/little?

To complicate it a little more at the end of August I should receive a pay increase of £1670 and receive I believe £507 in back pay which may then change my tax again?

Any help much appreciated

Thank you

Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...

Comments

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,324
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite

    What was your taxable pay on your payslip and what month ?

  • strawb_shortcake
    strawb_shortcake Posts: 3,860
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Taxable pay was £6130.21 and month 3 as was paid at end of June

    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

    Make £2024 in 2024...
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,531
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 24 July at 7:05PM

    A quick back of fag packet calculation using the basic info provided puts that spot on. The bonus has put you into higher rate tax for this point in the year and will stay that way, though reducing how far in month on month, until November. Each month you will get a little bit of that tax back until you are back paying the "normal" amount in January - you usually pay around £575 tax and going forward you will pay around £523 tax.

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • strawb_shortcake
    strawb_shortcake Posts: 3,860
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 24 July at 7:04PM

    Thank you, I was getting myself more confused the more I tried to work it out. I didn't really think I could under pay tax on PAYE, I've also never knowingly had a tax rebate - UK salary... teased me that my first might have been incoming, but I guess it is in small steps.

    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

    Make £2024 in 2024...
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,314
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 25 July at 8:53PM

    The UK salary calculator based its calculation on you receiving the bonus plus your usual salary and worked out the tax due using your code on a month 1 basis. This meant that it took no account of unuased 20% band allowance for earliuer tax months or for tax months yet to be paid. All except one tax calculator that I know of have their limitations, a bonus payment is often one of those limitations. The best one to use is the one provided by HMRC which providing you input the correct details ( it needs taxable gross ) will always give you the answer that PAYE will give.

    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/work-out-an-employees-income-tax

  • UKTaxHelper
    UKTaxHelper Posts: 79
    10 Posts
    Forumite

    On the pay rise bit that nobody has picked up yet, £49,843 plus the £1,670 gets you to roughly £51,500, which looks like it tips you into higher rate. It probably doesn't, because your alpha contributions come off before the tax is worked out, so the taxable figure is nearer £48,700 and you stay basic rate. The back pay all lands in one month though, so that month will look heavy again the same way the bonus month did, then it settles down over the months after.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.