We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Salary sacrifice with reduced tax code?

2»

Comments

  • mrklaw
    mrklaw Posts: 414 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    not to my understanding. Its a simple one line entry they should have provided - they have done it on time this year it seems (and the amount has gone up so I can see HMRC reflects that) so hopefully this all settles by next year.

    P60 for last year shows my taxable income as £54200 so I have a little leeway there although I’m starting to want to build some cash ISA for cashflowing the first year.. tempting though to nudge it a bit more

    If I do the math my % sacrifice should get me down closer. So I think perhaps the medical insurance is affecting that and I’m not sure how that interacts.

    eg if I earn 80k and my medical insurance is 2k and I sacrifice 50% of my gross salary - am I sacrificing 40k and then the medical insurance sits on top so 42k total? or is it 82k (salary + medical) and that reduces by 41k?

    the amount that goes into my pension each month does seem to line up with the former. Does it make sense to sacrifice deeper into basic rate so that the medical sits there and I pay less tax on that?

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,856 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    eg if I earn 80k and my medical insurance is 2k and I sacrifice 50% of my gross salary - am I sacrificing 40k and then the medical insurance sits on top so 42k total? or is it 82k (salary + medical) and that reduces by 41k?

    That is entirely down to how your employer chooses to calculate it, but I'd expect it to be 40k of salsac, 42k of taxable rewards.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • mrklaw
    mrklaw Posts: 414 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    ok playing with math, some googling and some AI (dangerous combination). Is this correct?

    • my current gross salary for 25/26 is £54298. that includes my salary sacrifice for the year and medical insurance BIK.
    • if I sacrifice enough extra to bring that under 50270 it would
      • increase my pension contributions by the gross amount
      • bring the medical BIK taxed at 20% rather than 40% so I’d save £358 per year (BIK is £1791)
      • reduce my net salary by (gross contribution -42%) - £29.85 (358/12)

    by my reckoning for this year ahead and next year,

    • my gross salary after SS would be estimated 50,818
    • medical insurance BIK is 1791
    • so total gross with no changes would be 50818+1791=52,609
    • if I increase my SS by 3000 then it would reduce gross income to 49609
    • increased pension by 3k
    • reduces my net salary by 3000-42%=1,740
    • I’d save 358 tax on the medical BIK
    • total reduction on net salary 1740-358=1,382 or £115pm net cost to me for 3k into pension?
  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,692 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I suspect this line might be wrong

    reduces my net salary by 3000-42%=1,740

    You are reducing your income to 49609 so presumably part of that would only have been taxed at 20% not 40%. (50270 - 49609 = 661)

  • mrklaw
    mrklaw Posts: 414 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 24 July at 10:08PM

    Yep across the boundary it’s a bit fuzzy. I’d probably assume all of it 28% rather than 42% to see on the side of caution

    but the double barrel of tax relief and £30pm roughly from reduced cost of the BIK starts to make me feel like pushing that little bit extra below 40% band rather than keep it in cash (would be going into a cash or S&S isa anyway)

  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 12,011 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    If your tax code is only 811L, aren't you going to have to salsac more, down to around £41k gross (taking the medical into account) to stay out of 40% tax??

    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

    I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 6,193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    No. As already mentioned, the amount of tax you owe is determined by your income, not by your tax code. To stay out of 40% tax you need to keep take your taxable income (including any benefits in mind) below £ 50250 for the tax year.

    Your tax code is irrelevant to that calculation - it determines how much is deducted from your paycheck every month, not how much tax you actually owe. Ideally the two numbers will match: if they don't it gets put right at the end of the year either with a refund or a requirement that you pay the shortfall (possibly by having more deducted from your paycheck next year through a reduced tax code).

  • mrklaw
    mrklaw Posts: 414 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 27 July at 7:45AM

    ok rechecked my numbers. I think this is my route forwards

    • increase pension contribution by 4% (takes me from 42-46% contribution - and with employer 5% tips me to 51% which is a nice psychological number)
    • reduces total of gross income + medical BIK to £49k so there is decent buffer
    • net cost to me £140pm comprised of £170pm from the pension, and a £30pm saving from the medical insurance.
    • Already saving £300pm into S&S ISA so that reduces to £160
    • My overall savings go from £3600 to £6000 through redirection towards pension.

    Feels efficient, extracting the last few quid from BIK etc. It will slightly slow my liquid savings build up but I can deal with that separately, I’ll have the first two years in cash in the pension and then DB kicks in so I only need a small top up which will be covered by a gilt ladder so the need for large cash buffer isn’t there, more like 1 year for convenient cashflow only

    Does this make sense? Kind of crazy I’m only 2.5 years from potential retirement and still things in the system that catch you out

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.