We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

NPI/Phoenix Life Offer

I have an old Pension originally taken out with NPI - With Profits Plan, that is now managed by Phoenix Life. Recently, I received a pre-announcement of an offer they were making to allow me to transfer out of the current fund with no MVR. Since the the MVR would currently be about half the value, this seems a good offer.

Being a bit suspicious, my question is, why would they do this? Financial companies are known for making nice gestures.

On a perhaps related note, my policy is made up of "initial units" (basically ones bought in the first year) and "accumulation units". I have some vague memory of some conditions which say that the initial units would be converted to (the more valuable) accumulation units at retirement age, but stupidly, I have lost the original paperwork in one of my many moves. I took the policy out in 1992.

Any assistance on either issue would be warmly welcomed.

Thank you

Comments

  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 18,669 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Hung up my suit!

    Phoenix specialise in managing obsolete pensions that are no longer being marketted by the original provider. They may want to encourage members to transfer out if the number of remaining customers of a particular scheme does not justify the admin effort in continuing to manage it.

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,864 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Being a bit suspicious, my question is, why would they do this? Financial companies are known for making nice gestures.

    Phoenix got hold of Pearl and its associated companies at a very low cost after AMP as it stripped it and made it virtually insolvent.

    Some of the old NPI plans have proven difficult to migrate to modern software. They really don't want to be running that old software still because it comes at a cost. In some cases, the number of people with certain versions of plans will be in the hundreds now. Rather than spend millions of pounds and still not get the software sorted, they can spend a lot less by encouraging people to move those small numbers of policies onto new plans, some of which may end up on standard life plans. Others may go elsewhere.

    They are not alone in doing this.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,633 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Since the the MVR would currently be about half the value, this seems a good offer.

    MVRs are usually applied after big drops in the markets, not after years of good results. So normally today you would not expect a MVR to be actually a factor ?

  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,692 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I am wondering if what they call the MVR is the reduction which is applied to the initial units bought in the first year of the pension? The sort of exit charge.

    OP do you have annual benefit statements for the pension which may set out what units you currently have and whether those units have two values ascribed to them indicating the reduction. The statement may also say something about MVR generally - maybe that is where you got the 50% figure from? I have to say that when I checked MVR figures on my with profits pensions in 2024 and 2025 there weren't any. 50% is a whopping reduction.

    Finally do check if the pension has a guaranteed annuity rate as part of it. I believe Equitable Life got into trouble because it tired to fudge the value of its pensions depending on whether the pension had a GAR or not.

  • green.lander_2
    green.lander_2 Posts: 41 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts
    edited 27 July at 3:48PM

    I also took out a NPI policy around 1990 but a few years back I seem to remember they made me this offer to transfer out without MVR and then immediately withdrew it. The amount of correspondence from them must cost a small fortune ,The policy did have a small protected rights amount i assumed it was because they did not want the liability. In the end i wanted until i was 65 to transfer out to a modern plan.

  • SouthCoastBoy
    SouthCoastBoy Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 27 July at 5:24PM

    I've got one of these policies, the mvr is over 50% of the current value, there is also a 1% exit fee. I have zero initial units. The offer is waiver of mvr and exit fee.

    II'm planning on staying with the policy until I reach 65, there is a 4% guaranteed growth, which is guaranteed up to 75. My understanding is I have no exit fees or MVR after 65

    It's just my opinion and not advice.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 5,884 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    My understanding is I have no exit fees or MVR after 65

    Check that it's not just "at 65", rather than (anytime) after

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.