We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

To defer DB pension or ..?

13»

Comments

  • Frezzer01
    Frezzer01 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic

    My other public sector DB went up by 3.8% in Apr 26 based on CPI at Sept 25 - so I guess the rate depends on the date used. The £8.5k one is based on Jan to Jan CPI. I found another booklet which stated that whilst in accrual the pension was revalued each year based on rise in the RPI. My service ended in the last quarter of 26/27 so not that long ago.

    Thanks again to everyone that has commented, getting others perspectives and knowledge is a gamechanger for me.

  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,708 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I don't keep close track of CPI so I looked it up on Google and found something which said that in 2025 CPI peaked at 3.8% (Jul - Sep) and ended the year at 3.4%. Interestingly the same thing said CPI for 2024 was 2.5%. Go figure - I thought it would have been over 3%.

    You mention RPI "whilst in accrual". That sounds like you were in a CARE scheme. I suspect the RPI link only applied while you were an active member.

    I know I am no good with figures but I don't think the last quarter of 26/7 has happened yet.

  • Frezzer01
    Frezzer01 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic

    All these CPIs are a bit CSI!

    Yep I was in a CARE scheme and RPI applied only whilst an active member.

    Ha ha - you're very good at spotting my errors - 25/26 is correct.

    Now to the form filling - I'm going to take the pension I don't know how much I would gain by deferring to make losing £8.5 worthwhile - it'd take a CSI data scientist to work that out.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.