We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Fixed Mortgage Fees
Morning all,
Back in Jan 2023 I secured an AIP with First Direct, the mortgage fee was £490. At the time Mortgage rates had movement and while waiting to complete the rate fell 3 or 4 times. Each time I chased the lower rate and 'renewed' my AIP with First direct who, each time, charged me another £490.
This year my son has signed up to a similar arrangement with FD, same £490 fee, this month while waiting to complete the rate dropped sufficently to justify renewing his AIP, this time, NO FEE. I spoke to First Direct and was advised that the practice for charging to renew to a lower rate while waiting to complete was scrapped in 2025.
Was it missold before then?
Comments
-
No. They just changed their policy.
3 -
Of course that is the case, but I was hoping for a broader discussion, what prompts such a u-turn (can't think of many aside from morals) etc, but thanks.
0 -
Lots of reasons:
- Morals could be one of them.
- Cost of buying in the money.
- Improvements to the back end system meaning it is less labour intensive and so no need to charge.
- Feedback from customers.
Lenders change criteria and processes all the time. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.
I am a Mortgage AdviserYou should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.2 -
I suspect competetive pressure from other lenders who certainly wouldn't get away with this in the broker market.
I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.0 -
Was it missold before then?Clearly no. It was not. If you buy something from a shop and then go back and buy another one the following week, and the price has gone down, you will not miss out on the first one. The same applies here. Deals change, terms change, and whatever applies at the time you buy it, that is what matters.
I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
