We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Whole salary into pension
Comments
-
So even though £12,750 was below the income tax threshold and I also paid national insurance on this sum, I can still put the whole lot into my pension for the tax relief?
As others have indicated, there is no relationship between how much tax you actually pay, and how much tax relief you can get on pension contributions.
Having a DB pension complicates things I believe. The annual increase in the value of that counts toward your annual amount that you can pay in to a pension and claim tax relief on it.
This is not correct. The only effect of a DB pension on tax relief is that normally the employee makes a contribution to the DB pension and gets tax relief on it, so that contribution would have to be taken into account when calculating the max tax relief still available.
0 -
Just a note (and probably not applicable to this particular case), but your untaxed salary sacrifice contributions are limited to £10k/yr if you have ever taken taxable income out of a pension (excluding State Pension).
0 -
Just a note (and probably not applicable to this particular case), but your untaxed salary sacrifice contributions are limited to £10k/yr if you have ever taken taxable income out of a pension (excluding State Pension).
It is actually applicable. And, again, a different question.
I am aware of it, but had forgotten it had gone up to £10k until a friend mentioned it a couple of weeks, so I'm quite pleased.
0 -
The reduction of the £60K Annual Allowance to the £10K money purchase annual allowance only applies if you have taken taxable pension from a defined contribution pension. That is, not if you have only taken DB or a tax free lump sum from DC.
0 -
You are correct.
0 -
The reduction of the £60K Annual Allowance to the £10K money purchase annual allowance only applies if you have taken taxable pension from a defined contribution pension.
And even then, I think it's only for benefits that have been taken flexibly?
Using a DC pension to purchase a lifetime annuity wouldn't do it.
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.0 -
Correct - and as you rightly point out, it has to be a lifetime annuity to avoid triggering the MPAA. A fixed term annuity is also counted as 'flexibly accessing'.
Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!2 -
Suffice to say that I have massive amounts of headroom with carry forward to accommodate putting a lump sum into my DC pension.
If you are salary sacrificing down to minimum wage, are you sure you have adequate remaining earned income (ie post-sacrifice) in the tax year in which you intend to make the lump sum contribution to your DC pension?
You can carry forward unused allowance from last 3 years.
….but need to have sufficient earnings to cover the amount you make by way of personal contributions - something which catches people out time and again. It may be fine here, but OP needs to double check.
Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!2 -
What I did was put the most I could into my pension via salary sacrifice (down to minimum wage). Then I opened an HL SIPP and put the rest into that and got the tax back. I kept this in cash. I did this for both my wife and myself. I used pretty much all of my annial allowances including carry forward (the annual allowance was much less then than it is now)
My wife stopped work early and drew it all out tax free before she started taking her DB pension. I had to pay some tax on the way out.
0 -
yes wife has done this periodically. Salary sacrifice to min wage then dump remaining salary into sipp for further tax relief. Obviously not as beneficial with no employer contribution/NI savings on that portion but still really accelerates contributions/growth.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

