We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Self-employed+ one-off job - which P46 option?

My accountant's office is closed so I can't ask them, but I need to complete a P46 this weekend for a one-off temporary job. I will only earn around £300.

I am self-employed but am unsure if my earnings will be above the personal allowance this year, as I may have a loss that can be carried over. (Probably the wrong terms, that's why I have an accountant!)

Searching through HMRC, it says that I should tick Option B, as my self-employment counts as another job and so that the tax can be apportioned properly.

Is that still the correct option when I do not know my self-employed earnings yet? I did another temporary PAYE job that didn't request a P46 (election duties in May). Tax was deducted and then refunded a few weeks later, which is why I am unsure.

I would assume either way, that it would be rectified in my self-assessment but I don't want to fall foul of any rules.

I would ask my accountant if it wasn't for needing the form completed by tomorrow.

Any pointers please? And thank you!

Comments

  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 19,507
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Whether you tick A or B is likely to be irrelevant as the emergency code (1257L) will be used whichever of those you choose.

    The first £1k/month will be paid without tax being deducted. Just remember to enter it on your tax return in due course.

  • Thank you, I will tick option B. I was worried that I could fall foul of some rule if I selected the wrong option, so that is good to here.

  • LITRG
    LITRG Posts: 218
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Organisation Representative

    Hi ChasingtheWelshdream

    I appreciate you may have already completed the form. For future reference, you may wish to look at our guidance on completing the Starter Checklist (formerly P46):

    Starter checklist | Low Incomes Tax Reform Group

    I hope this is helpful.

    Best wishes

    “Official Company Representative
    I am an official representative of LITRG (Low Incomes Tax Reform Group) part of the Chartered Institute of Taxation who are an educational charity. We are not part of MSE or HMRC. MSE has given permission for me to post on the Forum but this does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation or its products by MSE. We can’t give individual advice, but if you require further help, we recommend that you contact a tax adviser, HMRC or one of the tax charities where relevant. You can find more information about where to get help with tax here. If you believe I am posting inappropriately please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.