We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Help MTD - Software - Bank or Spreadsheet ?

My accountant is retiring this year and its the first that I have to submit my files through MTD so getting really stressed .

I only sell around 10 - 20 items a month ( a lot less recently ) so not too sure of the best software to use so currently using

1 - Starling bank app - I have itemised all my figures etc sales / stock etc but the issue is that the payouts from ebay are gross including the postage costs etc .

2 - Freeagent through my mettle bank account , alot more work - it is linked it to my starling bank account but again splitting costs coming in from the postage etc is stressful plus alot more features I am not too sure I need.

3 - Spreadsheet which I have used for the last few years which I find a lot more easier to use which I think I can link through vitaltax to the MTD site ( £20 for the spreadsheet and £35 to vitaltax )

I am hoping to do the MTD myself this year and maybe with help with the end of the year submission from an accountant .

Is it worth biting the bullet and going down the freeagent route or will my spreadsheet be ok ?

Comments

  • LITRG
    LITRG Posts: 218
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Organisation Representative

    Hi sidneyyoungblood

    We are not able to recommend a particular piece of software, but our guidance that looks at some factors to consider when choosing software may be of assistance:

    Choosing Making Tax Digital software | Low Incomes Tax Reform Group

    I hope this is of some help. This is part of our guidance hub on Making Tax Digital:

    Making tax digital for income tax | Low Incomes Tax Reform Group

    Best wishes

    “Official Company Representative
    I am an official representative of LITRG (Low Incomes Tax Reform Group) part of the Chartered Institute of Taxation who are an educational charity. We are not part of MSE or HMRC. MSE has given permission for me to post on the Forum but this does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation or its products by MSE. We can’t give individual advice, but if you require further help, we recommend that you contact a tax adviser, HMRC or one of the tax charities where relevant. You can find more information about where to get help with tax here. If you believe I am posting inappropriately please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,433
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper
    Ambassador

    are you over the threshold for MTD for this year?

    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,745
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    I have no answer to the question but two thoughts

    1 Isn't freeagent free if you have the right sort of bank account? Might make me think about using it instead of something you have to pay for.

    2 Can you actually use your current spreadsheet with vitaltax? I think some places want you to use their specially designed spreadsheets so the right boxes are magically linked to the right other boxes.

  • UKTaxHelper
    UKTaxHelper Posts: 79
    10 Posts
    Forumite

    On the gross ebay payout issue: for MTD you don't actually need to split postage out of each transaction as you go, you record total sales income and claim postage/ebay fees as a business expense, so the "splitting" stress is more about bookkeeping tidiness than an MTD requirement itself. VitalTax is bridging software, it doesn't care what your spreadsheet looks like as long as the final totals for each income/expense category are in cells you can map to the right boxes, so your existing spreadsheet should work fine, you're not locked into a specially designed template. Given you're only doing 10-20 items a month, honestly the spreadsheet plus a £55 total bridging cost sounds a lot more proportionate than FreeAgent's extra features, which are built more for VAT-registered or higher volume traders.

  • TaxSortedUK
    TaxSortedUK Posts: 8
    Photogenic First Post
    Forumite

    Following on from silvercar's question - worth checking your actual numbers before picking software. MTD for Income Tax only applies once your gross self-employment/property turnover (before expenses) is over the threshold - £50k for this 2026/27 tax year, dropping to £30k from April 2027 and £20k from April 2028. Doing 10-20 items a month, if your total turnover is under £50k you may not be in scope for MTD yet at all, so worth checking your last Self Assessment turnover figure before spending on new software.

  • sidneyyoungblood
    sidneyyoungblood Posts: 185
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Thanks for the advice , decided to go down the vitaltax route as the freeagent software is a bit overkill and complicated for my needs … One thing , if I sell items mostly on ebay but transfer the funds into my bank account once the buyer has received the item would I be classed accrual or cash basis - it is one of the first questions when I log into the hrmc site?

  • TaxSortedUK
    TaxSortedUK Posts: 8
    Photogenic First Post
    Forumite

    On the cash versus accruals question: since the 2024/25 tax year cash basis is the default for sole traders, so unless you tick the box to opt out HMRC treats you as being on it. On cash basis you record income on the date the money actually lands in your account and expenses when you actually pay them, which sounds like how you are already tracking your ebay payouts, so it should suit you. Accruals (traditional accounting) is the alternative, where you record a sale when it is made rather than when the cash arrives, but for a small ebay trader that is usually more hassle than it is worth, which is partly why cash basis is now the default. So in your case you would normally just leave it on cash basis and record each payout when it hits your bank.

  • sidneyyoungblood
    sidneyyoungblood Posts: 185
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    thanks , when I sell an item on ebay on my spreadsheet I mark it on the date the payment was made on ebay rather than when it lands into my bank account as it takes a while to clear then I always wait for the buyer to receive the item and happy with it as it saves refunding.. This is or the vast majority of my sales with only a few going direct into my bank account or through my site. Would this still be cash basis ?

  • uknick
    uknick Posts: 1,906
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    That's accruals accounting; when the payment shows on eBay is comparable to a sale's invoice date. Cash basis is as described; when cash goes out or cash comes in.

    The issue of timing is usually only an issue at a cut off date, such as your year end. But, I'm not sure how eBay report your sales to HMRC. I assume it is as you do at present, when they receive the payment on your behalf. This could mean there is a disconnect between what you report to HMRC and what they report.

  • UKTaxHelper
    UKTaxHelper Posts: 79
    10 Posts
    Forumite

    On the reporting mismatch, the platform report runs on the calendar year rather than the tax year, so it never lines up with your return anyway. It's gross too, before eBay's fees come off. HMRC know that, it's a prompt for them to look rather than a figure they expect to match.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.