We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
HMRC self assessment for going over pension annual allowance
I need to fill out a self assessment as I've gone over my pension annual allowance (even when taking into account previous 3 years carry forward rules). I just want to check a few things:
- My pension contributions are through salary sacrifice which I believe doesn't need entered on the self assessment form. Does this change given that I am declaring I've gone over my annual allowance?
- For box 10 on page Ai 4 (the one where I enter my amount over the annual allowance) I assume I take into account carry forward so as an example if I have paid £65000 into my pension in the tax year 2025/26 but I had £3000 carry forward from tax year 2024/25, then I'd put in £2000 here)?
Comments
-
Salary sacrifice contributions do not go in box 1 on page TR4 because you would not be claiming tax relief on them.
But the figures in box 10 on page Ai4 should include all employer contributions (including what you have salary sacrificed). The notes suggest your pension scheme should give you the figures to include in that box - haven't they? Maybe they have given you a Pension Input Amount?
I think you are right about the allowance you make for any carry forward of annual allowance though the notes don't mention anything about it.
1 -
Thanks. I haven't had a letter off my pension scheme yet to tell me I've gone over the allowance but based on the contributions when I log in and using the government carry forward calculator I know I have. I'll maybe wait for a couple of months and see if I receive anything from my pension scheme with some actual figures. If not I'll use the ones on the carry forward calculator.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards