We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Missing 10 years pension

After leaving school I moved abroad for 10 years. I returned home and attended university in the Republic of Ireland until Covid. Since then I have been in poor health and have been on benefits. I am worried about missing the 10 years contributions when I was out of the country.

I am seeking advice on the best way to make up those 10 years? I believe I can only pay missing years within the past 6 years so that is not an option.

Thanks in advance

Comments

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,861 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Where were you when you were abroad, and were you working there?

    Are you currently claiming benefits that include NI credits?

    Have you checked your State Pension forecast?

    https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

    Take a look and let us know what it says.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,978 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I know that some Irish moneysaving sites have info about British pensions- would that be any help?

    https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/uk-state-pension-make-voluntary-contributions-to-qualify-for-uk-pension-on-top-of-irish-pension.230581/

    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • kermchem
    kermchem Posts: 287 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    How many years do you have left until current state pension age, 67? You may yet earn enough NI credits.

  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,810 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    If you were working abroad then you may be eligible for a "state pension" from that country and/or be able to add credits for that time to you UK SP. I am getting both a foreign and my full UK SP. My other half was able to top up his UK SP but still gets paid his foreign SP as well.

    If you come back with some specifics we might be able to help further. Otherwise you might want to talk to these people….

    International Pension Centre - GOV.UK

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.