We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Confused about new Dental Charges in Wales

Hi, can anyone clarify the new dental charges in Wales as I am feeling confused after my visit today?

I am over 60 so I can have a free check up and at that appointment a few weeks ago, I was told by the dentist I needed to come back for a filling and a hygenist clean and paid £111.03 - £50 for the clean and the rest for 1 filling. I thought it was a bit dear for the filling but knew the prices had just increased in April. My question is when I queried the price today, when I noticed on a price list a filling should be around £36, I was told that the bill also included a £25 NHS charge for the check up because I needed work done. So they let you have a free one if you are OK but hammer you with an extra charge on top of the filling - seems strange! Is that really how it works?

That wasn't the end of my woes either - as soon as I was laying down in the chair the hygenist starts tutting and says you opted for an amalgen filling but this will just fall out as your tooth is too weak to support it, you must have a private composite filling at £148 so more expense and to top it all she managed to let a syringe explode and fill my mouth with the most vile tasting green liquid when the tip of it blew off and nearly down my throat. So, I have now paid them another £111.97 . Not a great day!

Comments

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.