We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

What is the best time to ask HMRC about interest record?

qsk
qsk Posts: 521
Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Forumite

I understand that all banks and building societies are required to report interests to HMRC by end of June. It is July now so can I ask for this record of details now, or should I wait for sometime for them to do some processing work, if any?

«1

Comments

  • horsewithnoname
    horsewithnoname Posts: 1,157
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    if you owe any tax on it you’ll get a bill - don’t hold your breath, like all public services they’re under resourced - but have you not kept your records/get them from the banks if you don’t any the total?

  • qsk
    qsk Posts: 521
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    I was asked to do SA since 24/25 for the sake of interests. I asked the record for that year and there were quite a few pence interests account which I would have missed. So I would like to get my figures in line with theirs to avoid any potential hiccups.

  • Isthisforreal99
    Isthisforreal99 Posts: 1,502
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 3 July at 10:42AM

    It's not HMRC's job to do your record keeping for you. They get sent the same info you do.

  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 19,507
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I suspect you're a bit early yet. I've checked my figure on my Personal Tax Account and it is still the total from 2024/25.

  • qsk
    qsk Posts: 521
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    There is a difference: for HMRC it is compulsory. For savers, you don't get it unless you ask (for some banks).

  • Isthisforreal99
    Isthisforreal99 Posts: 1,502
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 3 July at 12:14PM

    So no online statements showing when interest ia credited? I'm a 'saver' and all my monthly interest goes on a spreadsheet when paid. No need to pester anyone for that info.

    No wonder those with real queries can't get through to HMRC.

  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,792
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 3 July at 3:30PM

    I am in a similar position to the OP

    Almost all my interest payments through the year came from account closures, after which I can't access the historic account information online

    I am usually more organised but a combination of bereavements and moving house twice during the tax year means I'm not on top of it as I usually am and logging things on a spreadsheet has been the least of my concerns. I know I have the statements somewhere amongst the dozens of boxes and I'm sure I'll retrieve them all in due course, but I'm hoping HMRC will inform me sooner as my financial position is very different this year to last.

    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • GrubbyGirl_2
    GrubbyGirl_2 Posts: 1,352
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    You'll probably find it easier to contact the banks associated with those closed accounts and ask them for a Tax statement

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,324
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite

    HMRC advised me of my 24/25 interest in January 26.

    Hundreds/ thousands of bank interest details will be received with a name and address.

    Each bank list will need to be processed and linked to a taxpayer.

    If you use different banks then your interest details will be on different lists and be collated as each bank’s list is dealt with.

    Until all lists have been dealt with HMRC will not know if they have details from all your banks.

  • Shylock_249
    Shylock_249 Posts: 260
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Yes, they very well might get sent the same information as the OP but there is nothing to say that they collate that information correctly without errors of omission or commission.

    Except for the FY before last HMRC never had the same figures as myself or my wife. Three years ago I asked for a print out of the figures they had. They produced a list showing bank accounts I'd closed down two FYs previously showing estimated interest. There were (about) 20 entries on their list and only 7 were correct the remainder spurious. I had to phone HMRC and go through each entry on the list one by one.

    The previous year to that shown above, when checking my wife's entries, HMRC had been notified by a bank that our joint account had paid us 5k in interest, HMRC had correctly allocated 2.5k to myself but NOT to the wife, HMRC made the correction over the phone, meaning my wife paid and additional £500 in tax. (Honesty is the worst policy).

    The HMRC said that Banks and Building Societies were supposed to report to HMRC by the end of June each year but rarely did so. She said that (for that year) banks had been given dispensation to report by by the end of October.

    HMRC are there to provide a service for the elephant and the ant and if the OP wishes to contact them then he should do so. IMO there's only one stupid question; the one which is never asked.

    Butt Spelle Chequers Two Khan Make Awe Full Miss Steaks
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.