We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Victorian Terrace options

2»

Comments

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,916 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    I have 3 or 4 near me but no idea who the provider is or rates etc.

    If you want to find out, you can look them up on ZapMap.

    https://www.zapmap.com/

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • Screwdriva
    Screwdriva Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 4 July at 8:19PM

    I am inclined to agree with @Martyn1981 when it comes to any heat generator. £ savings aside, nothing worse than having your primary source of heat go offline during a blackout (in addition to the lights). Much better to gloat first and then help your neighbours out instead ;)

    -  10 x 400w LG Bifacial + 6 x 550W SHARP BiFacial + 2 x 570W SHARP Bifacial + 5kW SolarEdge Inverter + SolarEdge Optimizers. SE London.

    -  Triple aspect: ENE (2.7 kWp), WSW (3.3 kWp), SSE (2.4 kWp)

    -  Viessmann 200-W on Advanced Weather Comp. (The most efficient gas boiler sold)

    Feel free to DM me for help with any form of energy saving! Happy to help! 
  • ed110220
    ed110220 Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Are you able to park outside your house much? I don't have a drive either but charge my EV by running the cable over the pavement under a protective mat. I've also signed up for a council run trial of cross pavement channels for charger cables, but it's moving at a glacial pace. Obviously it depends on having a space outside often enough, I work from home two days a week so I'm usually able to park there before everyone else gets home and two charge ups per week is usually enough. As you do a lot less miles, you'd probably be able to get away with less.

    Another option is the Cocharge app. A few times when I wasn't able to charge up at home I charged up at someone's charger nearby. It was much cheaper than using a public fast charger.

    Batteries - I think you'll definitely want a battery or batteries whether you get solar or not, so you can make use of cheap, off-peak electricity. I'm on Octopus Go and manage to get virtually all our imports at the 8.6p overnight rate, which is about a third of the flat rate. This would be especially useful if you use a heat pump.

    Solar install June 2022, Bath
    4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 1x Seplos V3 battery 15.2 kWh, 1x Seplos V4 battery 16.1 kWh.
    SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels. Hyundai Kona 64 kWh EV.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 4,278 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I've a small drive in front of my terrace house but if I had to charge elsewhere my nearest Tesla site is ~4 miles away near a supermarket and on subscription the peak rate is 46p and it goes to 28p, 33p and even as low as 20p at silly o'clock. You can get good discounts on Ionity (just as well!), BE.EV etc.with a subscription.

    The economics for my PV panels are different as I still get FITs but my immersion tank is all solar, via a diverter of surplus energy, for 7+ months of the year.

    I'm not going to get a heat pump fitted this summer but when I do want to get rid of radiators, gas and the associated standing charge. Since gas central heating relies on electric circulation pumps not too worried about relying on electric, and the car battery can keep my freezer going! If going for a battery it would certainly help to have an islanding capability.

  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,343 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    'Islanding' would give you an uninterruptable power supply for the full house. My Lux system (and possibly others?) gives me a UPS for a few critical circuits.

    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.