We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Problems with accessing HMRC account
I already have a Government Gateway account and of course my NI number and D.O.B. When I try to log in with these I get an error message to say that I can't do it this way due to technical issues. It pushes me to use the Gov id app to send images from my passport and a selfie photo but then rejects the photo. I suspect that my smartphone isn't sufficiently high range. Is there any way around this? All I want to do is request a P810 form. I have tried ringing but can't get through. Thanks
Comments
-
Maybe it is a different Government Gateway thing but don't you need a User ID and password to get in?
0 -
Yes I have a Gateway user ID and password but can't get in. I don't know what you mean by a different Gateway. I only know of one.
0 -
You were talking about NINO and DOB - neither of which I need to get in so I thought you used something different to me.
So when you have used the User ID and the password what do you get? A code sent to your phone?
0 -
As above I don't need my NI number or date of birth to log into Gateway.
User ID and password then I am sent a one time code to my mobile, enter that and I'm in.
Things that are different: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid0 -
The best time to phone is as soon as lines open , to be at the front of the queue.
You can request a form using the digital assistant.0 -
Have you previously used your Gov Gateway account to access your Personal Tax Account? From what you have written it seems as if you have been allocated a Gateway ID but not completed the ID verification process.
0 -
I set up the Gov Gateway ID 2 years ago to check my state pension and again more recently when doing a Power of Attorney.
0 -
I have just tried the digital assistant but it didn't answer my questions at all. I really dislike these services.
0 -
I have now managed to phone HMRC and declare the gross interest but I wasn't inspired by the guy who kept putting me on hold. He has told me to write to them by snail mail to declare any relevant interest next year. according to him, the info I was given last year about completing form P810 is incorrect. I have a separate enquiry still ongoing regarding the problems with using the Gov.ID check app.
0 -
I have now been through the verification process and had my images of the passport, passport chip and my face accepted but I still can't access HMRC because I get a message to say that my Gov gateway password is a different number (issued in Jan 2024). I checked back to my emails from then. I do still have the relevant message but the login number is the one which I used today.
Update: After several attempts I eventually managed to get the full corrected Gov gateway number today. I am still puzzled as to why the original number was changed.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

