We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Cutting tax.

The_Bookman
The_Bookman Posts: 81
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
Forumite

I am 66. On 1st October I will be 'retired', and in receipt of the State Pension plus two other private workplace pensions, total of the 3 will come to around £51k, so eating all of my Personal Allowance.

I have a small SIPP which I started at the back end of the last tax year, which currently has just under £18k in it, £12.6k of which I added in the last tax year - (carry forward contribution allowance?).

I have been invited to take up some contract work, on 1st October, at a day rate of circa £650 per day, 3 days per week. It is likely that this can/will be done via an umbrella company, precisely which company, I may have some choice over, although I expect my prospective employer will have a favourite in mind. I am aware of the changes being introduced to NI contributions to SIPPs in April 2029; I do not expect this contract to continue beyond that date.

Coming to the point, it seems to me that, given every penny I earn on this contract will be taxed at 40%, the smartest move would be to do a significant salary sacrifice into my existing SIPP.
I am not clear on how much I could do in THIS tax year, or in subsequent tax years - I'm thinking here about unused pension contributions from previous 3 tax years?

Obviously, as a 'pensioner', I won't have to pay NI. My research so far suggests I should be asking the as yet unchosen umbrella company if it will pass on its savings in Employer NI contributions to me, in my SIPP, and that most will agree to do so?

Have I missed anything? What sort of salary sacrifice should I be considering? Is there a better way of legally paying as little tax as possible?

If in doubt - do something. (With fond memories of Harry Chapin)

Comments

  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 19,507
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Could you explain a bit more about why you are "thinking about unused pension contributions from previous 3 tax years".

    You can never backdate pension contributions. You can carry forward unused annual allowance from previous years however you have to used this year's allowance before this is possible.

    This year's allowance is £60k and nothing in your post indicates you will have used this in the current tax year so it's unclear why carry forward is at all relevant?

  • kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 3,602
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    If your pensions are £51k a year, won't you be paying 40% on any further pension withdrawal? So putting anything further into a pension won't be tax -advantageous unless you would otherwise be paying more than 40% on it.

    Notwithstanding employer contributions of course.

    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
  • kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 3,602
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 2 July at 4:25AM

    Oh! At £650 a day, you'll be paying above 40% tax, so as you'll be just paying 40% on it as pension withdrawals, it does sound tax advantageous.

    Nb, the personal allowance is £12750 (or thereabouts), do you mean your combined pensions will put you over the higher rate tax threshold?

    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
  • The_Bookman
    The_Bookman Posts: 81
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Poor terminology - should indeed read unused annual allowance. Thanks.

    If in doubt - do something. (With fond memories of Harry Chapin)
  • The_Bookman
    The_Bookman Posts: 81
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Yes, combined total of all 3 will exceed £50k. Thanks.

    If in doubt - do something. (With fond memories of Harry Chapin)
  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,743
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    So how long will this contract work last? When added to the £50k pension is it going to put you over £100k taxable income for a tax year? If so then definitely do some pension contributions to get yourself below the £100k mark. Even if the pension coming from the contributions is taxed at 40% you will have saved yourself from the 60% tax trap.

    Not sure how it would be worked out but do remember that salary sacrifice can't get you down below the NMW. I think that is an hourly rate not daily.

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,681
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Be aware that salary sacrifice is only one of three ways that you can make pension contributions from a salary.

    The employer chooses their preferred method, so maybe the new employer /umbrella company may not operate a salary sacrifice scheme anyway.

    The other two ways still bring the tax relief benefits, but have no effect on NI . Although for one of the alternative ways you have to claim back higher rate relief from HMRC.

  • The_Bookman
    The_Bookman Posts: 81
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    As mentioned, I don't imagine the contract going beyond April 2029. It seems the £100k tax trap is a very real possibility for me if I don't do something, hence the OP. Noted re NMW. Thanks.

    If in doubt - do something. (With fond memories of Harry Chapin)
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.