We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Missing pension

Hi

Hoping someone can advise or point in a direction.

I'm dealing with my mum's affairs, she has advanced dementia, and at some stage has thrown all her papers away.

I identified that her finances just weren't adding up, she wasn't receiving what I thought she should.

Contacted Aviva as that's who the payments she does receive in her bank.

After a bit of back and forth I got info on 2 annuities.

Further info that in 2009 mum transferred approx £53,000 to Scottish Equitable (now Aegon).

Aegon are useless, took an age to verify my POA.

They have eventually come back and said, No my mum transferred from them to Aviva in 2009!

Aviva have traced as much as they can with the limited info I have.

So now there's a considerable sum missing!

Mums in residential care and I need to account for this money now I've identified she had it.

HOW?? Who do I turn to for a search?

Appreciate any advice

Comments

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,864 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    You say there are two annuities. That suggests that they were funded by multiple plans. What pensions were the source of funds for those two annuities?

    Where are the annuities put in place by an IFA? That was the most common method back in 2009. IFAs typically retain files indefinitely. You can often identify the IFA used on the annuity paperwork. The annuity provider may also be able to tell you who the IFA is.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • VeryBusyMummyX3
    VeryBusyMummyX3 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Hi, thanks for responding.

    Mum used the half of dad's pension when they divorced to purchase the annuities.

    She was left money by her mother and aunt, and was roughly the £53k, which Aviva say she transferred to Aegon and Aegon say she transferred to Aviva.

    I've asked both to provide copies of all documentation relating to the transfers, should maybe do a FOI (?) reuest

  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,695 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    This may be what you mean

    Subject access request - Aviva

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,864 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    She was left money by her mother and aunt, and was roughly the £53k, which Aviva say she transferred to Aegon and Aegon say she transferred to Aviva.

    Are you sure it's a pension?

    If she was left money by her mother and aunt, typically that would be received as cash not a pension fund. Especially in 2009, which pre-dates the changes from more recent times

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 46,075 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    First of all, are you able to identify the exact sum received from your father's pension, the date of receipt and where this pension was held?

    Was it with AVIVA? Was it in 2009? Were the annuities you have identified funded solely by the divorce settlement?

    Are you saying that at more or less exactly the same time that she received the divorce settlement, she also received an inheritance from her mother and her aunt, the two totalling £53,000?

    Did the bequests come from policies held with AVIVA?

    If so, are you saying that the £53,000 was transferred to Scottish Equitable (AEGON) and used to purchase a third annuity that can't be traced?

  • VeryBusyMummyX3
    VeryBusyMummyX3 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Thanks for responding

    To be honest I really don't know at this stage.

    Annuities at Aviva informed me of the transfer so I'm assuming it's a pension pot.

    I've also got 6 bank accounts to sort out which I found through 'trace my account'

    I've done Subject Access requests to Aviva and Aegon.… Hopefully that sheds some light

  • VeryBusyMummyX3
    VeryBusyMummyX3 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Hi

    Thanks for responding

    Divorce and dad's pension was 2004.

    2008/9 she received this additional money, my aunt worked in insurance and pensions, she had all sorts of investments and insurance policies.

    Which I think mum with a financial adviser have put together in one pot.

    Hopefully the SMA request helps

  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 16,352 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    2008/9 she received this additional money, my aunt worked in insurance and pensions, she had all sorts of investments and insurance policies.

    Which I think mum with a financial adviser have put together in one pot.

    Given the date of your mum's inheritance, there were much tighter restrictions on who could inherit what from a DC pot. I wonder if this is actually a 'purchased life' annuity - ie one which was bought with the cash she'd inherited (as cash not 'pension')? If she used a financial adviser, that lends credence to that suggestion. If so, and Aegon/Aviva have been hunting a pension annuity, that might go some way towards explaining the issue and possibly helping to locate any 'missing' funds.

    It's a very long shot, but do you have copies of your aunt's and your grandmother's wills? If not, it might be worth getting them just in case there's any mention of your aunt's investments and policies in particular - and also, if the executors are still alive and compos mentis, seeing if they have any paperwork/can recall anything helpful. https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 46,075 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I seem to remember a thread from some years back concerning a purchased life annuity with a fixed term.

    The annuity paid an income for a set number of years and at the end of the term a lump sum.

    I wonder whether your mother purchased a term product from one insurer in 2009 and later received a lump sum

    which she transferred to the other insurer to purchase a similar product, finally receiving another lump sum which

    she simply banked?

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.