We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Pay extra into pension or overpay mortgage

I’m 57 and currently pay £500 extra into my pension every month. I’m a higher rate tax payer, so in reality only see a deficit of £300. My pension matures when I’m 60, which I will take and and carry on working and pay into another pension. I also have 10 years left on my mortgage. Is it better to keep paying extra into my pension, or should I pay off some of the mortgage instead?

Thanks

Comments

  • Sam_666
    Sam_666 Posts: 330 Forumite
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 1 July at 2:18PM

    You are shy on details what kind of pension you have and how you contribute to it.
    Anyway, maths are quite simple. Mortgage cost is say 5% (you also are shy with mortgage details), while pension instantly generate 40% (simple example) free return on contribution plus annual market growth say 10%.

    Why would you want to take out pension while working? Do you understand tax and future contributions impacts?

  • El_Torro
    El_Torro Posts: 2,359 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 1 July at 2:59PM

    Generally speaking you will be better off financially if you pay more into your pension and not overpay the mortgage. There is a "feel good" factor in paying off the mortgage but that won't make you financially richer. This is especially true if you get 40% tax relief on your pension payments and you will be a 20% tax payer in retirement.

    Can't say much more than that since we know very little about your individual situation.

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,880 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    My pension matures when I’m 60, which I will take and and carry on working and pay into another pension.

    Most defined contribution pensions do not mature any more. Some legacy pensions may have a maximum maturity age of 75, but that's easily resolved by moving them to a modern plan. A fixed maturity age of 60 would typically only apply to defined benefit schemes. With those, many continue to get a late retirement uplift if you don't commence them at the Scheme retirement age. Where the uplift terms are poor or there is no uplift, then taking it may be beneficial.

    Is yours a defined benefit, and is that why you are taking it at 60 or is it defined contribution, in which case taking it would not be a good idea in most scenarios?

    Is it better to keep paying extra into my pension, or should I pay off some of the mortgage instead?

    Financially, if you are a higher rate taxpayer who would expect to be a basic rate taxpayer in retirement, then the pension would be far better than the mortgage. The Tax Relief Net of Tax Paid in Retirement equates to 33% gain. And that ignores any investment returns made over the period.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dalek1969
    dalek1969 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic

    I work for the railway and my normal retirement age is 60 with the company I work for. It is a defined benefit pension. On my work pension forum, it advises people to take their pension at their normal retirement age and restart a new pension with my employer to keep death in service benefit.

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,880 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Have you got any BRASS contributions? It's a valuable AVC as it allows the pension commencement lump sum from the main scheme to be diverted to the BRASS fund and not reduce the main scheme income.

    With higher rate relief and the BRASS scheme, that makes the pension even more favourable.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.