We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Barclays Deferred Pension - 1964 Pension Scheme DB v DC scheme?!

Hi

I was expecting a letter re my DB deferred pension 6 months before retirement, so I thought August, but I received 1 today - I will contact them this week as no idea what is going on and wondered if anyone could shed any light on this? I left Barclays in April 1991.

The letter states you are approaching retirement and time to consider how I'd like to access my 'defined contribution retirement savings'. Asking I get in touch with pension Wise so I can decide how to take my DC benefits. That is Transfer to L & G Pension Access Scheme; Buy an annuity of own choosing… or purchase annuity on open market etc.

This is not what I was expecting, as my pension, correspondence and forecast etc has always been a DB…had forecasts re a lump sum and pension, pension only or transfer out.

Has anyone else come across this?

Thank you

Comments

  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,481 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    How odd! Are you sure you didn't pay Additional Voluntary Contributions at the time, maybe that is what it is referring to. To be honest, your best and only port of call will be contacting them anyway.

  • millarno
    millarno Posts: 9 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker

    Thanks JoeCrystal - No AVCs . Agree will contact them tomorrow. Thinking they have sent me incorrect correspondence.

  • Jacklob
    Jacklob Posts: 80 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts

    My husband is drawing this DB pension, he left service May 89. It does mention online that some people did pay AVC's as a defined contribution into policies managed by Legal and General. I,m sure that the nature of your correspondence. You should be hearing from WillsTower Watson regarding the main scheme, as they administer this. . Hope this helps.

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,864 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    The 1964 pension was DB.

    The after-work and AVCs were DC.

    Having done a number of Barclays DB and DC pensions over the years, you generally find you get bits of paperwork on every version of the scheme, whether you have funds in that segment or not. It can be quite confusing.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • millarno
    millarno Posts: 9 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 July at 7:46PM

    I spoke with Barclays yesterday to be advised that they had sent a load of incorrect correspondence to a number of people in error. I should get the correct DB info in August :)

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.