We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Invigilator and class 2 national insurance

I invigilate and I am short 3 years National Insurance contributions to get my full state pension so I thought I would register to pay voluntary class 2 national insurance contributions.

General advice is that you have to register for self assessment. I did that but annoyingly I couldn’t get it to calculate correctly because I had a tax reclaim on my pension for 2025-2026 and the HMRC taxed my pension rather than my employment. Anyway then I found this form online which purports to allow registration for class 2 without self assessment.


https://www.gov.uk/pay-class-2-national-insurance


I am not sure it will work but I thought I would try because it will save messing around with self assessment.

I have paused my self assessment registration this year because I will probably need to send one in for this year for other reasons.

Comments

  • Yes, that route can work, but it hinges on one thing: you can only pay the cheap Class 2 if HMRC treats your invigilating as self-employment. If you're genuinely self-employed for it (registered, with a UTR) and your profits are under the small-profits threshold, you can pay Class 2 voluntarily, and the standalone "pay voluntary Class 2 if you do not pay through Self Assessment" service is exactly for that no full return needed. If the invigilating is actually employment (PAYE/casual via a school or exam board), Class 2 isn't open to you and the only voluntary option is the much dearer Class 3.

    That distinction is worth real money, because Class 2 and Class 3 buy the identical State Pension year at very different prices, Class 2: roughly £190 for a full year, Class 3: roughly £960 for a full year.

    The payback is excellent either way. Each qualifying year you fill adds about 1/35th of the full new State Pension — roughly £6.89/week, about £358/year for life (2026/27 rates). So three filled years is ~£1,075/year extra income, for a Class 2 cost of only ~£570 in total — paid back inside the first year.

    Things to double check

    1. Confirm on your gov.uk State Pension forecast that those specific years actually raise your forecast, and that you won't reach the full amount anyway through future working years before State Pension age. If you'll get there regardless, you may not need all three.
    2. Voluntary contributions normally only go back 6 tax years now (since April 2025), so recent gaps are fine — just don't sit on older ones because they will age out.

    Hope it all works out.

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,877 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    If the invigilating is actually employment (PAYE/casual via a school or exam board), Class 2 isn't open to you and the only voluntary option is the much dearer Class 3.

    The reply above is long and well-written but is nevertheless based on an incorrect understanding.

    Exam invigilators can pay Class 2 NI even if employees, as they are still treated as self-employed for NI purposes.

    See:

    https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/national-insurance-manual/nim74100

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • ThreeScoreAndOn
    ThreeScoreAndOn Posts: 6 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 June at 2:33PM
  • Green_hopeful
    Green_hopeful Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 27 June at 3:37PM

    @ThreeScoreAndOn and @QrizB its very confusing. I spent 30 minutes on the hmrc chat thing with a human and they didn’t understand it. The form I found was on mumsnet. I didn’t find it when searching the extensive HMRC guidance. I thought it might be useful to someone else. I will update the post if i succeed.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.