We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Charge on Property Preventing Remortgage

Hi guys,

I’m not sure what steps to take so thought I’d post here for some advice.

I bought my first home 2 years ago using a Help to Buy ISA with a 2-year fixed mortgage.

Now that I’ve come to remortgage, I’ve been told that the Land Registry was never updated for this property and that it is still registered in the previous owner’s name, this is because Help to Buy never removed a charge on the property, meaning the Land Registry couldn’t update the homeowner when I purchased it.

I’m told that Help to Buy and my solicitor’s have not acted on 2 warnings about this, one in 2024 & one in 2025.

This has completely stopped me from being able to remortgage - since being told about it I have been trying to force them to resolve it non stop, but my current mortgage is due to expire on 30th June and the charge still hasn’t been removed, so the Land Registry still can’t be updated.

This means I’ll be put onto the Variable Rate (£~200/month more than the remortgage I agreed) and if this is eventually resolved, I’ll have to accept another remortgage offer that is ~£100/month more expensive than the remortgage offer I currently have agreed

What steps should I take here?

Is it possible that I can seek compensation for the thousands of pounds this will cost me over the next couple of years?

Thank you

Comments

  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,078 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament

    Solicitors who did the purchase will likely be liable for your costs.

    Although I am not sure whether there is an element of you trying to minimise losses which might be a case of you switching to a new product with your current lender to try and limit losses.

    Who is your current lender?

    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • hickuain
    hickuain Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post Name Dropper

    Yep that’s what the mortgage advisor I spoke to suggested actually, I’m with Halifax at the moment paying ~£640 per month

    She has found a Halifax product that will cost me ~£750/month

    I’m not sure whether the land Registry issue still applies if I stay with the same lender though…

    But yeah, some cost can be reduced that way but that’ll still be me paying an extra £2,640 over the 2 years + paying less off of the mortgage total due to higher interest, all through no fault of my own

  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,417 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper

    your solicitor is responsible for making sure the property is registered in your name, they also act for the lender. It could be some confusion with the help to buy administrators if you and the previous owner both had HTB.

    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.