We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Higher Rate Tax Relief SIPP
Comments
-
The basic rate band is only £37,700, so in this case it would be extended to £97,700.
0 -
SIPP payments £60k
Are you saying you contributd £60k net? So £75k gross?
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.0 -
Sorry I have confused by not stating so I will try again!!
Self Employment income £90k
SIPP payments £60k ( gross including the automatic 20%)
Entered £60k into self assessment as obviously it is entered gross . But was going by the literature that says you have to claim the extra 20% as HR tax payer if paying into a SIPP as only the 20% is automatically added.
I was seeing if anyone else has done this and the calculations at the end just show the increased basic rate and was this correct and nothing else needs to be added??0 -
There is no "extra 20%" to claim.
All you do is enter the correct amount in the pension contribution box on the return and your basic rate band will be increased to reflect the gross contribution.
If you are interested in the tax saving you have benefitted from (over and above the 20% basic rate relief) why not just check your return calculation before and after the pension contributions are added?
1 -
Thanks. Yes I had added and removed the pension contributions as I kept checking myself!! It all seemed correct but I was just not sure if it really was as simple as the calculation shown or I was missing a “tick box” or something else that I had to add in as all the literature was you must claim separately on self assessment.
0 -
If you want to see how much higher rate tax you have saved with the pension contribution you could edit your tax return so it does the calculation leaving out the pension contribution and then does it with the pension contribution included. Obviously don't submit the return. The difference is what tax you have saved.
Crudely you have lifted your higher rate band from c50k to c110k. But as you earn 90k you only save the higher rate tax on c40k. So a saving of say £8k.
0 -
Sorry all if my question sounded stupid! It should have been laid out better to explain simply “did I have to add anything else other than just the box for pension contributions on self assessment “.
I understood it increased the basic rate but I was concerned I had missed a part where I had to “claim separately “ going by the HMRC literature as that being the case, the calculations shown were all off !
Put simply, it just seemed way too straightforward a process on self assessment ! I was expecting a more complicated route.0 -
No You don't need to do anything more. I am not sure if they will ask you for evidence of the contribution - I imagine so for that size of contribution.
0 -
Thanks. It’s not that I am suspicious of HMRC and things seeming too easy to be correct so much so, that I need to check and double check because the help guide was overwhelming complicated and contradictory and I was somehow expecting the same on the calculations !!
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
