We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Fix or Tracker Remortgage?

Tonerrr
Tonerrr Posts: 1 Newbie
Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 24 June at 12:34PM in Mortgages & endowments

I'm currently going through a separation and remortgaging the house in my own name with a transfer of equity. House value £220k, remaining balance £140k, paying my ex £40k so full remortgage amount £180k. Fix ends August 31st this year (2026). I did get us a good fix in our joint name six months ago but obviously I now have to re-apply in my own name with the increased rates…

I've ran the numbers and I'll have around £500 a month spare for disposable income, this is less than I'd like but rather than have the turmoil of moving/fees/cost of purchasing new furniture etc, I'm thinking I'll fix for 2 years giving me room to sell in 2 years.

I'm usually quite risk averse, however looking at the current options, a fix with a no product fee for 2 years is c. £935 a month at 5.19%. Looking at tracker mortgage with a £500 fee, the monthly payment is £829 monthly at 4.29%. With it being such a short term I'm looking at, how much can the base rate reasonably increase in that time? Historically increases look to have been increases of 0.25% every 4-6 months. I'd need 4 increases to reach the rate of the fix.

I'm usually super conservative and would prefer to know what I will be paying, however it somehow seems like the tracker is a no brainer? It would leave me with an extra £100 a month and even if there are increases, they don't look like they'd go above (or much above) the fix rate and even if they did, I'd already have saved hundreds in monthly payments?

Apologies for the rant - I get incredible decision paralysis and I'm looking for someone to help sense check the maths here and make sure I'm not missing anything.

Appreciate any feedback - thanks!

Comments

  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,811 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Another thing to think about (should you not have enough already!) is what if you take the tracker but make the higher payment? So tracker at 4.29% but paying £935 a month - which you say you can (just?) afford.

    Here's what I see for £180k over 2 years….

    5.19% £935/mos = total interest will be £20013 leaving a total of £175700.

    4.29% £829/mos = total interest will be £17009 (includes £500 fee) leaving a total of £174955.

    So significant interest saved but not much difference in the end result.

    4.29% £935/mos = total interest will be £16882 (includes £500 fee) leaving a total of £172072.

    So crystal ball!! What would you prefer pay less and save £3k on interest with the tracker or pay more and save another £3k on the final balance - assuming the rate doesn't go up.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • brown_crow
    brown_crow Posts: 14 Forumite
    10 Posts First Anniversary

    With the base rate held at 3.75% for four consecutive meetings and inflation trending down, a tracker at 4.29% with a £500 fee against a fix at 5.19% with no fee gives you an £800 saving over 2 years even before the £100/month lower payment. You'd need four quarter-point base rate rises to parity, which looks unlikely given current forward guidance. The tracker is the rational choice for 2 years.

  • feynman33
    feynman33 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts

    Based on what you posted the tracker looks better, but your numbers look off in terms of what rates are available. Have you used the best buy tool?

    Also typically on a 180k mortgage you should consider a fix with a fee.

    {Signature removed by Forum Team - if you are not sure why we have removed your signature please contact the Forum Team}
  • BikingBud
    BikingBud Posts: 2,993 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Go for the tracker and save the difference? Perhaps in a regular saver at best rate or a flexible ISA

    If you have built a large lump sum you can pay that off before next period. If the rate goes up and you need to flex across the flexible ISA could be withdrawn.

    Your life is too short to be unhappy 5 days a week in exchange for 2 days of freedom!

    One can always make more money. No one who has ever lived can create more time.
  • Jemma01
    Jemma01 Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 9 July at 9:02AM

    I went for a tracker before and I remember that HSBC had no ERC which allowed me to fix if I wanted to without finishing the 2 year term. So your risk here is pretty low as long as no ERC.

    Are you sure your bank won't allow you to keep the same fix but remove the ex? Have you spoken to them?

    I'm FTB, not an expert, all my comments are from personal experience and not a professional advice.
    Mortgage debt start date 11/2024 = 175k (5.19%)... Q1/2026 = PAID (3.94%)
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.