We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Funds for a short term sipp
Going to open a sipp for o/h.
Hoping to get around £30k invested over next 3 years & then draw down probably around 7k a year for 4 yrs, until state pension arrives.
I know options for investment over this short of term are limited. But does anyone has any thoughts on what to do?
I use Hsbc GS balanced in mine, which has pretty good for me. but would 1 of the GS less risky funds be better & safer over such a short period?
Comments
-
Does she have sufficient earnings to be able to contribute that much year (from a contribution limit, not cashflow perspective)
1 -
Depends entirely on your/her attitude to risk - but you make no mention of her workplace pension. Does she have sufficient earned income to contribute £10k a year?
Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!1 -
Thank you.
Yes around 10k would be maximum she could put in.
Probably wouldn't go too risky because of the short time.
She's in a lgps at work, but because she doesn't oay income tax, we thought sipp instead of salary sacrifice would give us more flexibility
0 -
Should say, we've looked at what she's likely to get if she retired in 3 yrs & the drawdown would be used to take her upto her tax threshold
0 -
3 years is too short for money that will be used. Better to use short term money market funds like Fidelity cash or Royal London.
Treat it as the short term savings account that it is.1 -
for such a short term I’d stick with money market funds and ultra short term bond funds.
And so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.2 -
Hoping to get around £30k invested over next 3 years & then draw down probably around 7k a year for 4 yrs
You could even put £2500 a year into each of four gilts, maturing in the years you plan to make the withdrawals.
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.0 -
gilt rates are garbage before 2034
1 -
That's definitely a take. Not one I'd necessarily agree with, but each to their own.
N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.3 -
Thank you for the comments. I see that a MMF would be good, which has me thinking about my sipp. I have been investing in the Global Strategy balanced for around 10yrs now, which I keep buying.
As I'm probably a couple of years before I retire, should I be moving away from that & putting some into a MMF? I will be in no rush to drawdown so aggresively in my sipp
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
