We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Retired Civil Servant needing advice.

Greetings. I am 66 and like so many others, even though retired (since April 7th), I'm not expecting the remainder of my pension any time soon and have yet to receive any correspondence from Capita. I took partial retirement in March 2020 working 3 days 2020-2023 and reverted to two days a week 2023-2026. I am already in receipt of Mil pension 1976-2000 and Civil Service (classic) 2000-2020. My question relates to the pension for service in partial retirement 2020-2026 (Classic 2020-2022/Alpha 2022-2026).

Given the ongoing fiscal drag issue, I'm attempting to maintain the totality of my pension under the 40% tax threshold which, I will not be able to do once I'm in receipt of the pension for the period 2020-2026). If I was to take the Alpha portion (2022-26) without taking a lump sum - I'm wondering if it is possible for me to take the whole Classic component (for years 2020-2022) as a lump sum. That classic component was expected to be in the region of £810 per year from April 2026 with the previous portal showing a standard lump sum of roughly £2430. I hope that makes sense and any response appreciated. Many thanks.

Comments

  • Isthisforreal99
    Isthisforreal99 Posts: 1,490 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    You do realise you are going to have to make a McCloud remedy decision for the period 2015-2022, either all Alpha or all Classic. And no, you can't take all the Classic as a lump sum.

  • horsewithnoname
    horsewithnoname Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    the standard classic lump sum is three times your pension. You do know that the old MyCsp modeller defaulted to the maximum lump sum?
    you can take a lump sum from alpha and extra lump sum from classic and when you get your forms from capita it will show you the standard figures and max lump sum figures for both McCloud options

    Though the lump sum isn’t taxable, any income you get from is likely to be, so you may want to consider that if you’ve not already

    I wish I paid a ton of tax - that would mean I had a massive income 😂

  • SOLOMAN
    SOLOMAN Posts: 20 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts

    Many thanks for the info😊

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.