We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

LGPS Value

Hello, I have what I hope is a fairly simple question and I wonder if anyone might be able to help answer it. I have a LGPS and I left that job in August 2025 but I rejoined through a new employer in September 2025. I have yet to "merge" the two schemes together but can do as they are both LGPS 's. I am actually considering a career break (I may go back to work in the future but unlikely with LG so not likely to resume those pension contributions). I am looking at finances generally and I am now 55, so I can access pension funds if needed (private not state obviously).

I can use an online calculator in the membership self service area of my LPGS to get an idea of value etc but my question is this; when I ask for a calculation based on current UK retirement age of 67 and it produces the figure, is that based upon me continuing to contribute at the current rate, or is it based on the current value of the scheme and adjusted for growth (hence the higher figure) but on the assumption that no further contributions will be made?

Many thanks

Comments

  • Oppenheimer
    Oppenheimer Posts: 31 Forumite
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    When I use the LGPS calculator it is based on today's valuation and I can amend the retirement date which will then reduce the amount in payment due to it being taken early. Taking it at state pension age 67 results in me getting a wee increase as I was in the previous scheme for a short period of time when benefits were payable from 65.

  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 10,849 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Do you have any pre April 2014 service?

    Yes, if you input age 67 into the calculator, your assessment will be based on your continuing to be a contributing member until then.

  • Thankyou Oppenheimer, that's helpful, I think! I don't particularly want to access any of the funds currently and the figures it gives me based on retirement at 60 for example are for me, good sums of money (lump sum and annual sum). So I suppose what I'm trying to say, is that if those figures are based upon me not paying into this scheme any further, then I'm ok with those figures and therefore happy to leave LG (and the associated pension) in favour of something more enjoyable without worrying about the need to continue to make contributions to it. I can just leave it knowing that it will be there in the sums predicted (when I need it).

  • No I joined 2016 - I think I have a "nest" scheme that I paid into for a year 2013-2014.

    Ok, so a calculation based on retiring now (age 55), would actually be pretty accurate for age 67 based on the assumption that there are no more contributions made?

    I could take the tax free lump sum and leave the rest alone however?

  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,810 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I could take the tax free lump sum and leave the rest alone however?

    Last time I looked at LGPS it was a defined benefit scheme and therefore the only way to get the TFLS was to put the pension into payment.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 10,849 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 16 June at 1:26PM

    The reason I asked, is because any pre 2014 service would retain its final salary link. As this isn't the case here, there wouldn't be any benefit in keeping two CARE records separate.

    No, with this pension it's all or nothing - you can't take the lump sum without the annual pension.

    An quote now for payment at 55 will/should take into account the hefty early payment reduction, so your pension at 67 would be substantially more (plus deferred cost of living increases between 55 and 67).

  • Collywobbles53
    Collywobbles53 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

    Ok thank you that's really helpful. It sounds as though even if I leave my current job (and don't continue to work where there is a LGPS) and no longer pay in, I'll be much better off just leaving it where it is until I'm 67

  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 46,075 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Have you obtained a state pension forecast?

    https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.