We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Strange taxcode increase for pension and giftaid relief

2»

Comments

  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 21,913
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite

    Doesn't make any sense then, unless there is some other PAYE income source with a D0 tax code which is the only thing I was thinking would make any sense. Maybe someone else has an idea.

  • mfn123
    mfn123 Posts: 37
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 17 June at 1:25PM

    Just to give an update before I draw a line under this and get on with my life…

    I found the HMRC PAYE calculator at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/work-out-an-employees-income-tax very useful for determining future payments for the various codes, and as suspected, I was wrong to think I would get £250 more net pay in each future payslip.

    The 424L tax code was not Month1, so although it meant an £250 less tax in June, that was only because of a correction for overpayments in April and May. The tax for July onwards would only have been £90 less. In other words, I would only have paid £1000 less over the year (i.e. as expected at basic rate from the code change). So… good to understand the figure more, but still would leave me with under 80% paid by PAYE.

    Setting that aside, I have now used the 'tell HMRC about other income' facility on PTA to replace the 7700 non-coded income by my expected dividend and interest for 2026-27. The update process produced a new K407 M1 code for July onwards which is much more appropriate. It still doesn't seem quite right, but is good enough for my purposes.

    As things currently stand, my K407 M1 payslips from July onwards will take more tax than the June 424L aberration, but only a bit more than April/May K65, and should at least cover my dividend income. Since the expected PAYE tax should now exceed 80% of expected total tax (and the difference is well under £1000 anyway), I think I'll quit while I'm ahead!

    If anyone has concerns about this approach, do let me know.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.