We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Pension for before retirement

Hi all,

I am in the NHS Pension which is linked to state pension age so will receive both at the same time if I retire at 68.

I would like to retire at 60 or go part time which is in 15 years. To be able to do this I need to have savings/a plan to cover this gap.

Due to historical part time working when my children were small my NHS pension isn’t huge, currently around 8K. However I am lucky enough to now be in a full time role at a decent salary so will start to see that pension amount go up so it will be around 30k when I reach 60.


I’m currently putting three children through uni and still paying off a mortgage which ends in 9 years so I will have additional disposable income over the next few years as they become less financially dependent.


What should I be looking at to invest in to help fund the bit between 60-68?


thanks!

June 26

Mortgage £110000 9 years 7 months remaining
Spanish Mortgage £8200 3 years 9 months remaining
«1

Comments

  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 13,873 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Can you start paying extra towards your mortgage now, it doesn't need to be a huge amount every month or indeed every month but it will save you a huge amount in interest and reduce your term. Double check with your mortgage provider that you are able to though (and the amount you can overpay each year).

    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • kara_p_uk
    kara_p_uk Posts: 87 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    we have started using Sprive to make small overpayments, our fix is 2.29% until 2030 so I’m trying to put what I have left each month into savings at a higher % to pay off at the end of the fix.

    June 26

    Mortgage £110000 9 years 7 months remaining
    Spanish Mortgage £8200 3 years 9 months remaining
  • jimi_man
    jimi_man Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Definitely a pension is going to the best option. You can pay off extra on your mortgage but personally I wouldn't bother and just start putting into a DC pension.

    You can also take your NHS pension earlier which is generally cost neutral.

    In terms of what investments, it's probably against the forum rules to name specific investments and there are the usual caveats about taking financial advice from random people on internet forums. But if you have a read through some of the threads you'll see the same investments and names come up time after time. I hadn't a clue when I started and a couple of hours reading on here and the link below (and further reading on that site) gave me a lot of information and ideas.

    Worth reading this.

    https://monevator.com/index-investing/

  • Oppenheimer
    Oppenheimer Posts: 31 Forumite
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper

    Not questioning your arithmetical skills but to build up extra defined benefit pension of £22,000 over 15 years is quite good going and would suggest a current salary of £80,000? If you are on £80,000 then nice one.

    Re your issue about bridging 60-68 - I am building up a DC AVC pot with the civil service.

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,633 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Good point, the NHS pension also offers an AVC option.

    In reality contributing to a DC AVC pension, or contributing to a stand alone DC pension, is a similar strategy.

    There can be some differences depending on the DB/AVC scheme involved, but essentially in both cases you are building up a separate pot, to use to bridge a gap later.

  • kara_p_uk
    kara_p_uk Posts: 87 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Thanks all. Really helpful advice - my maths skills weren’t wrong, I do now have an incredible salary having gone up through the bands in nursing into senior management and full time. I want to make sensible decisions being in a position that I know is a rarity in these times.

    June 26

    Mortgage £110000 9 years 7 months remaining
    Spanish Mortgage £8200 3 years 9 months remaining
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 2,168 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 17 September at 8:35AM

    If your kids are still under 18, then contributing enough to a pension to get your income down to £60k would also get you your child benefit back (unless you have a partner earning over this) Ignore me, just re-read and seen your kids are already at Uni

    With 40% tax relief it is an absolute no brainer to use a pension to bridge the gap, getting it back out at a mix of tax free and 20% tax.

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,858 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    That might be your belief, but there are more things wrong with it than I have time to correct right now!

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 2,168 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!

    Quick, back-of-a-fag-packet calculation, all using current tax rates and allowances:

    • £30k NHS pension, plus full SP of £13k is £43k gross, £37k net
    • Eight year gap at £37k pa is £296k of income to replace between 60 and 68
    • You'd need £325k in your pension to do that. 25% comes out tax free as TFLS. Another £100k tax free using eight years of Personal Allowance. £29k basic rate tax on the rest.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.