We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

To fix or not to fix!

Our new mortgage will start on the 1st July, was really hoping the rates would come down over the last couple of months but no joy and thanks to the middle east conflict they're creeping up slightly.

Managed to fix a couple of months ago with existing provider at 4.88%, if I'd have been quicker off the mark I could have got it at 4% 😩

I'm tempted to go into the variable rate of 4.74% in the hope the rates come down if Iran and Israel settle things down soon. But I'm very risk averse so probably better to stick with the fixed rate.

Are you fixing or tracking?!

Comments

  • Jellybean2468
    Jellybean2468 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Second Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

    Appreciate I'm leaving myself open to crystal ball comments here but I'm curious to see what people are planning for mortgages coming up in the next few weeks!

  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 7,544 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    We're not looking for a new product, but if we were I think we'd be fixing again.

  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 13,120 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    We were lucky with timing and got a 5 year fix in January at 4.04%.

    Can't see rates coming down much more from their current levels in the next year or so. I think we will be in a period of stability with mortgage and BOE rates.

  • Sherlock33
    Sherlock33 Posts: 53 Forumite
    10 Posts Name Dropper

    Just fixed for 2 yrs at 4.89% - being able to budget for this amount for 2 years is more important than the little I may save if rates went down (only got 17K left on the mortgage)

  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,078 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament

    I have done more variable rate mortgages since April than I have in the last 5 years.

    Generally speaking variable rates are around 0.6-0.8% lower than fixed rates when I am doing the research. That means there would need to be around 3 rate rises (if not more) before clients are financially worse off.

    The bank of england have already come out and said inflation will go high, but that alone will not be a reason to raise the base rate (or at least that is how I interpreted it). However, in your case, the difference is 0.14% which means even 1 rate rise within the next 12 months and your worse off. So the risk of you being worse off is much higher (although I still think unlikely).

    But realistically, how much are we talking? £5 a month and your talking about £120 over 2 years. £120 for an insurance policy isnt the end of the world.

    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Jellybean2468
    Jellybean2468 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Second Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

    Thank you very much - some really good points here that have put the fixed option into a good perspective! I will live in hope for the June Bank of England announcement otherwise take that fixed rate!

  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 13,120 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic

    I wouldn't pin you hopes on a BOE rate cut next week I'm afraid.

  • booksandbikes
    booksandbikes Posts: 220 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    We have fixed for 3 years at 3.74%. We were very lucky to lock in early on when things kicked off in Iran so we were fortunate to get below 4%. Our previous rate was 1.59% so the jump will sting.

  • Jellybean2468
    Jellybean2468 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Second Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 June at 6:58PM

    You got a great rate there, I'm kicking myself for not sorting this straight away 6 months ago when I could have locked on a much better deal. I have a day to decide whether to risk the 4.28% tracker which saves me about £60 a month in the hope that it will stay low and I may get a better fixed rate eventually, or stick with the 2 year 4.88% fixed rate I secured.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.