We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Fiscal drag and trying to reduce tax liability

2»

Comments

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,681
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    If you phone at 08.00 sharp when they open, you usually get through in 10 to 20 mins.

  • fizio
    fizio Posts: 488
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    I guess I don't really see the big deal in say earnings+interest etc totaling 52k versus 53k other than a few quid extra in tax. I used to think that if I earn 52k and had 2k interest then i would get the 1k interest allowance but i gather that the 2k is added to the 52k so even the 1k interest allowance doesnt work out. Same with cgt and dividend etc, they all get added to the income so really - all total income/earnings/etc has to be below 52k to stay basic - which really doesnt seem much of a motivation. Surely it’s better to pay 40% tax and get the other 60% than not? Obviously if you have a choice and don’t need the extra money then fair enough but it seems to be big deal to stay below the threshold when I am not sure it is. Though I could be wrong in my understating but having done self assessments, thats how I understand it to work

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.