We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Income tax on Ebay sales
Just seeing how much work I need to do.
If I sell something for 9.79, my Ebay fees are 1.56
Net is 8.23, expenses are 1.56
So tax = 8.23 * 20% = 1.65
—
So Ebay pay me 8.23, so just for sales all I have to do is pay 20% of what Ebay pays me? Because the expenses have been removed at source?
Before the 20% tax total is found I would have to minus any other non-Ebay expenses such as purchases. (Would still have to keep Ebay financial reports safe for future)
Am I correct?
Comments
-
Surely only the EBay expenses have been removed. What about all your other expenses/ operating costs, are you taking them into account ?
0 -
I did mention the other non-Ebay expenses:
"Before the 20% tax total is found I would have to minus any other non-Ebay expenses such as purchases. "I just wanted to know if I need to find each individual fee charged for each sale? As the amount paid by Ebay gives the net profit already?
0 -
Are you getting over the trading allowance?
1 -
Hello WorstDancer, you may find our guidance on online platform sales, and seller information statements helpful:
Seller Information Statements | Low Incomes Tax Reform Group
“Official Company Representative
I am an official representative of LITRG (Low Incomes Tax Reform Group) part of the Chartered Institute of Taxation who are an educational charity. We are not part of MSE or HMRC. MSE has given permission for me to post on the Forum but this does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation or its products by MSE. We can’t give individual advice, but if you require further help, we recommend that you contact a tax adviser, HMRC or one of the tax charities where relevant. You can find more information about where to get help with tax here. If you believe I am posting inappropriately please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"-1 -
Think the treatment is the same across all of the online marketplaces.
0 -
the same
techncially if you are deliberately selling stuff on a regular basis that you have yourself purchased to deliberately see them in the eyes of HMRC you are "trading" with a view to making money. You will therefore be taxed on your profits: Price sold minus fees minus purchase cost
If gross income <£1,000 then you do not need to delcare it at all as it is covere dby the trading allowance.
If gross incpome >£1,000 you can choose wherether to show actual total costs to produce the profit figure, or you can just deduct £1,000 allowance and declare that net profit.
Pedantically the online platforms fees should be included in your calculations, but for practcial purcoases it is ok just to record the net cash received in your bank avcount after the fee has been kept back by the platform. That said, if you are turning over many £0,000 then it is more likely you will be expected to keep proper accounts showing the full detail, not a simple record of cash in.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


