We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Glasses online?

2

Comments

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,556 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Good tip about using older reading glasses when chopping up food with sharp knives.

    I have never tried that but sounds like a good idea.

  • Yarrows
    Yarrows Posts: 56 Forumite
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    I bought single vision glasses from Internet Specs a few years back, one pair with the frame and a reading pair as a reglaze. I found them reasonable value for money and I felt their optician understood my (very strong) prescription and gave me good advice, and I've been very happy with the glasses. Other online glasses sites won't accept my prescription as they have lower limits for prescription strength (I'm not sure if they all run orders past an optician?).

    Because I'm using varifocals now I haven't had occasion to use them again, but I would be happy to do so for single vision lenses. I've had poor experiences with in person opticians in the past so I was a bit worried about using an online service but in this case it worked out well.

  • cyberhippy
    cyberhippy Posts: 8 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary

    careful with those knives! Wouldn't varifocals solve the "you need different glasses for reading and computer use" problem?

  • Barkin
    Barkin Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    I've been getting free eye tests, and using an online service for the actual hardware, for several years now without any problems.

    I use Specsavers for the test, simply because they're nearby and convenient for me.

    I always ask for the IPD to be included on the little prescription card that they give me, and they've always done so without question.

  • bob_a_builder
    bob_a_builder Posts: 2,404 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Don't understand why the PD is not included as part of the prescription, since it seems its a fundamental part of the 'specification' for the glasses. Have been refused that information in the past.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,322 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 10 June at 4:24PM

    It's because the eye test results are a measure of the refractive properties needed to correct your eyesight.

    Anything else is specific to a fitting for spectacles and is the responsibility of the person/company supplying those.

    Further, if you were opting for contact lenses then such a measurement is irrelevant.

  • Xenon
    Xenon Posts: 346 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper

    Plus they want you to buy from them - if you have your prescription & PD you can buy from anybody.

  • Baldytyke88
    Baldytyke88 Posts: 1,156 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    I occasionally wear Asda bifocals. I was thinking about getting standard driving glasses, but as I have no problems with the bifocals, maybe I should get another pair.

    The top half of my bifocals allow me to see reading better, so maybe that is enough. I need an app on my mobile to measure my eyes.

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,556 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    @cyberhippy

    My optician said that for people who looked at computer screens for work many hours a day, and then had to also read things, then varifocals was a possible solution. However if you are only looking at a screen one or two hours a day, they are probably unnecessary as they are expensive and take some getting used to.

  • SydB
    SydB Posts: 2 Newbie
    Fourth Anniversary First Post

    I had an eye test at Specsavers earlier today. I asked for the PD and they said they're no longer allowed to provide it. Apparently, its because if you source your glasses elsewhere and get it wrong, Specsavers aren't liable.

    Not sure if that's down to them trying to lock you into buying from them, or whether people did source glasses elsewhere, got it wrong, then complained at Specsavers.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.