We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

BTL remortgage dilemma

My brother and I own a rental property which has about 16 years left on the term. We intend to keep it

The current mortgage rate expires this summer so we need to remortgage but the broker and bank fees for fixed mortgages are £2.5k. The broker has access to the whole market. The comparable option would be to stay with the current lender and get a tracker mortgage. This product has no fee.

I'm happy to do this but brother is not sure about the economic climate. We have savings of £8k as a buffer.

What do you suggest given the current climate- tracker or fixed?

Comments

  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,078 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament

    Its not what we think.

    Its a business decision for you and your brother.

    However… one conversation I am having a lot on residential mortgages is that variable rates are so much cheaper at the moment that the reality is you would likely need 2-3 rate rises within tie in period to be any worse off.

    The bank of england have acknowledged that inflation will go above 2% and are not overly concerned in the sense that they do not think it will "bed in" and will not result in mass pay rises like it did in 2022 (the Russian/Ukraine war).

    I am no economist, but I believe the expectation of rate rises is limited. If you think the same, then there is an argument for a variable rate. If you disagree then fixed is probably the route. But you guys need to decide it between you. Rather than doing it on what you think, have you looked into market expectations?

    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Happytosave
    Happytosave Posts: 75 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Thank you for your reply. We have both been trying to research this. Where would we look for market expectations?

  • Jemma01
    Jemma01 Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 2 June at 8:28PM

    Difficult to predict if some idiot will start a war or introduce new problems somewhere that affects us. Locally, it's been going down steadily, when I started in 2024 my tracker was 5.44%, then it dropped to 3.94% 2026.

    Some lenders like HSBC will let you switch from a tracker to fixed if you changed your mind without ERC. So you can always start with it and change your mind if the situation changes. Just make sure you read the terms and conditions on paper.

    I'm FTB, not an expert, all my comments are from personal experience and not a professional advice.
    Mortgage debt start date 11/2024 = 175k (5.19%)... Q1/2026 = PAID (3.94%)
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,078 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament

    Google - Bank of england base rate predictions

    This is what I read the other day - https://www.theguardian.com/business/2026/may/29/bank-of-england-bailey-says-no-rush-to-raise-interest-rates-amid-iran-war-uncertainty - Although it can change by the day with thoughts.

    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,791 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Which Lender are you with currently?

    I am a Mortgage Broker

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.