We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Home insurance

Hi

My bankruptcy has been discharged over 18 years. I’ve just gone to renew our home insurance (contents and building) and noticed that at the bottom is has ‘assumptions’ and one of them is not ever been declared bankrupt. We’ve been with them 9 years and have never noticed this before. Also bank with them. The insurance is with co-op.

Can anyone recommend another insurance company? Thank you.

£2 Savers club £0/£150
1p a day £/

Comments

  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I think this has been this way for years.

    Have you made a claim in the past year's with them and if not they could of got of jail by not paying you as you have maybe not informed them about being a bankrupt.

    An insurance broker maybe the best bet as I think you will have to talk to any insurance companies on the phone and see if they they accept discharged bankrupts.

    Other MSE users will be along soon and give you a more correct route to take.

  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,506 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!

    Have you actually answered yes?

    Was the quote much different?

    Mine was 14 years ago and always answer yes..no difference in price now..time helps

  • lindsaygalaxy
    lindsaygalaxy Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    it didn’t ask me and I don’t remember it ever saying it before until the renewal document came in and it’s listed as a statement on general assumptions


    who did you get insurance from?

    £2 Savers club £0/£150
    1p a day £/
  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 2 June at 6:59AM

    I am not sure if this would help or hinder things but you could call them up and ask but there is a risk that they may cancel your insurance and then trying to get another insurance company for cover could be difficult because they ask if you have insurance cancelled in the past.

    They may amend it but be aware of the cancellation.

    If you use a comparison site like mse one or others there is a question on there about past/current bankruptcy.

    You could get new insurance but you would have to declare it and I don't think you can carry over no claims discount as they could ask for proof.

  • lindsaygalaxy
    lindsaygalaxy Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I used a comparison site and answered yes to the question. It came up with several so I went with one.

    I declared my no claims though as have never made a claim. I didn’t realise I couldn’t carry them over? It just asked if I had made any claims and I put we hadn’t as we haven’t since owning this house. Is that going to be a problem? I really don’t want to cancel it and do it again.

    £2 Savers club £0/£150
    1p a day £/
  • lindsaygalaxy
    lindsaygalaxy Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    ok, I have looked through the last few years proposals. They didn’t ask the question about bankruptcy until the renewal this year.

    £2 Savers club £0/£150
    1p a day £/
  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    You can carry them over to a new insurer but they may want proof of years no claims.

    As you have gone to a new insurer have you cancelled the other insurance?

    As I mentioned before I don't know if you can have 2 policies for the same property at the same time.

    You haven't said but when you took out the new policy did you read all the details are correct like the discharged bankrupts part?

    If you can't see this I would call them up and ask if it's down on the policy just to cover yourself.

    As for not asking about bankruptcy for the last insurer maybe it's in there somewhere but I would think it's in the t&c.

  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,506 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!

    It's usually in the assumptions...that no-one in the property has ever been bankrupt...to be honest not many people read them

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.