We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Have I got this right?
Maths (and tax matters) are not my area of expertise.
Am I along the right lines in my thinking, please?
Higher rate tax start to become payable when income hits £50,271.00 onwards to £125,140.
A total income of £50,270.00 would remain in the 20% tax bracket - for now.
50,270/12 = £4,189.16 per month, pre tax.
20% of 4,189.16 = £837.83 tax to pay at 20% rate.
£4,189.16 - £837.83 = £3,351.33.
So, for a basic rate tax payer, with no other benefits/allowances/exemptions, keeping income at or below £3,351.33 should mean they remain in the 20% tax bracket.
Is that correct?
Many thanks.
Comments
-
Way off, you have forgotten about the tax free personal allowance of £12,570.
And looking at it from net income is a strange way to try and calculate it. Quite simply, if all your taxable income is under £50,271 you are a basic rate taxpayer.
1 -
OK. So, if I deduct that £12,570 from the £50,270 at the beginning, I could then do as I've done above to get what the net monthly income limit is?
I appreciate it's strange - but it would be helpful for me, as a novice. Thank you.
0 -
Yes deduct £12,570 but you can't rely on net pay as you will also have NIC deducted.
0 -
And possibly pension contributions and student loan repayments.
0 -
The tax man looks at your gross pay, but that isn't what arrives in your bank if you are salaried.
But there are lots of payroll calculators online including one by Gov.uk.
Run some figures through and see if they answer your questions.
1 -
Thank you all.
No NIC, pension contributions or student loans.
I'll look at some of those calculators, dig out P60's and see if I can get my answers.
I may be back........
0 -
If you have P60's, that would suggest your income is from employment.
If you have employment at the salary levels indicated £50k, then there will be NIC arising. There is typically pension contributions arising also, though some employer-schemes are wholly employer funded.
Your target seems to be expressed in an unusual manner and I am unsure whether you are being clear about how your income is derived. No need to share anything you don't wish to share but please be aware that variances in the details can have a bearing on the resultant tax liabilities.
1 -
P60's from/for workplace pensions.
0 -
If you want relevant answers then it would have been helpful if you set the scenariio at the outset.
It still makes zero sense to do it on a net income basis as you are reliant on the tax code operated being 100% accurate. If it's not you could tip into the higher rate bracket. You are massively overcomplicating it - for someone with purely pension income then as long as your gross monthly income from all sources is not over £4189 then you will be a basic rate taxpayer.
1 -
Thank you. Much appreciated.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards