We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

FSCS - Lloyds Bank and Halifax Bank Linked

I regularly review my savings accounts. As I have noticed some recent bank takeovers, the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) is of particular interest.

The FSCS is now £120,000 per person, per financial institution, so I was keen to establish which banks are linked and particularly which banks share a single FSCS licence. I used MSE's 'Which banks are linked?' feature at:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/safe-savings/#whatcounts

Initially I checked Lloyds Bank and Halifax Bank. Here are the results I received:

  • Lloyds:
    These banks/building societies all share one lot of £120,000 protection
    Cheltenham & Gloucester
    Lloyds
    Scottish Widows Bank

This means, if you have accounts with more than one of these, you should check how much it is and be aware of how much is protected.

  • Halifax:
    These banks/building societies all share one lot of £120,000 protection
    AA (pre Oct 2015)
    Bank of Scotland
    Birmingham Midshires
    Halifax
    Intelligent Finance
    Saga (pre Oct 2019)
    St James Place Bank

This means, if you have accounts with more than one of these, you should check how much it is and be aware of how much is protected.

I was certain that Lloyds Bank and Halifax Bank were linked, but the MSE results do not show this. In fact the MSE results indicate that Lloyds and Halifax each have their own individual FSCS licence, shared only as shown in the MSE results.

AI Search Assist begs to differ:
Lloyds Bank and Halifax Bank share the same Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) protection limit of £120,000, as they are part of the same banking group. This means that the total protection applies to the banking licence as a whole, not per brand.

My conclusion is that combined savings with Lloyds Bank and Halifax Bank would only be protected up to a total of £120,000, and not £120,000 per bank as the MSE results suggest..

Am I missing something here - why do the MSE results not show Lloyds and Halifax as linked?

Razoo

«1

Comments

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.