We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

£3000 tax demand

Had a letter from advantis to pay HMRC £3300 I'm on simple assessment I have a main job and a pension draw down on a previous job both these are on my account on the HMRC app .the only reason I can think of is my tax code is wrong but if all my income is declared why is the code wrong ? I am paying tax on both.im on minimum wage and I don't have the money to pay £3300

Comments

  • MasterG83
    MasterG83 Posts: 818
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    edited 27 May at 10:07AM

    I had this a few years ago, I owed a total of £11000 spread over three years, they all arrived at different times, on simple assessment due to payments incorrectly missed by my employer, I did owe the money but it wasn't my fault, they messed up on company car allowances etc.

    Anyway, after eventually getting through to HMRC I arranged payments over 22 months, I went through affordability on the phone with a call handler and we agree on a monthly number.

    Simple assessment comes into play when the amount to be collected is over £3000 i think, therefore you probably haven't been paying enough tax for some time.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert. Please complete an SOA if you are looking for debt advice. Link here - https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Baby Step 6/7 . £20000 + saved and invested. £47,000 deposit paid on new home CONSUMER DEBT FREE !!!
  • Jacklob
    Jacklob Posts: 80
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite

    Are you sure this is not a scam. This is a legitimate debt collection agency for HMRC, however scammers are impersonating it with fake correspondence. I would call HMRC to ask them. Good luck

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,685
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    As above - surely HMRC would have contacted the OP directly to ask for payment, and debt collectors would only have been called in if there was no response. Sounds like a scam.

    OP- Can you see on your account on the app, that you owe any money ?

    OP - As advised the first thing to do is to call HMRC 0300 200 3300. If you call when they open the lines at 08.00 , you get through quicker.

    Or you could call Advantis direct -

    01782 401 100
     

  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 3,723
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Have you checked your HMRC online account?

    That will tell how the debt has accrued

  • LITRG
    LITRG Posts: 218
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Organisation Representative

    Hi OP. If you're not sure if the demand is correct, we'd recommend that you contact HMRC to ask how the tax is made up. If you do owe the tax, you may be able to organise a payment plan. Our webpage on tax payment problems and debt has more information. Hope this helps.

    Tax payment problems and debt | Low Incomes Tax Reform Group

    “Official Company Representative
    I am an official representative of LITRG (Low Incomes Tax Reform Group) part of the Chartered Institute of Taxation who are an educational charity. We are not part of MSE or HMRC. MSE has given permission for me to post on the Forum but this does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation or its products by MSE. We can’t give individual advice, but if you require further help, we recommend that you contact a tax adviser, HMRC or one of the tax charities where relevant. You can find more information about where to get help with tax here. If you believe I am posting inappropriately please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.