We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

A marked decrease in winnings

pebbles691
pebbles691 Posts: 83
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 14 May at 12:41PM in Compers chat corner

I started entering competitions 13 years ago and was very successful, winning multiple a month. Over the last 10 years I switched to just entering during periods where I had extra time and only aimed for high end prizes, and would still be quite successful.

I took a break for a few years before deciding to try again properly last year, entering 1000s (low and high end) and winning a total of 2 prizes since then. Whilst a couple of wins are great, the ratio of entering and winning seemed way higher years ago. Is this a trend felt by most people or just an unlucky period?

«13

Comments

  • pate-ci0
    pate-ci0 Posts: 3,689
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 14 May at 11:00PM

    Personally I feel the same, despite entering 1000-2000 per month I feel lucky to win any sort of a prize in a month. I feel that a lot of folk started comping during Covid and many still are. I also think that a LOT of comps are on Social Media that used to be Web based and given the propensity for Instagram et al banning you if you enter too many (the algorithms flagging your entries as spam posts or something), I enter far fewer on there to avoid that (Really tough around Christmas!). However, the small wins keep me going and every day I keep on looking forward to that BIG WEM!

  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 4,410
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    MSE has on a few occasions put competitions in their newsletter that increased the amount of compers significantly. This will reduce the chance of winning imao

    2026 wins - Parker Pen American Sweets bundle 2x dish magic bundle NEU shots & a NEU training T-shirt ToeZone Shoes Worth £32

  • WoodyWoody6
    WoodyWoody6 Posts: 42
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Have had this exact thought in the last week.

    Thinking it’s probably time to jack it all in.

  • chocoholic123
    chocoholic123 Posts: 521
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Same here - it is really difficult to win anything at the minute.

  • Gottobeinittowinit
    Gottobeinittowinit Posts: 861
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I am finding small regular wins (up to £50) but have only been comping in earnest since last December.

    These and similar forums appear to be a factor but also a great opportunity.

    As per last comment don't give up as you've got to be in it to win it and you never know what that next email or call will deliver

  • captainjack2
    captainjack2 Posts: 404
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    You need to think positive. I'm going to win 100 prizes this month. By being positive it will happen.

  • pebbles691
    pebbles691 Posts: 83
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    @pate-ci0 I think you are right in that there is probably a rise in people doing it especially with hybrid working, way more people have the extra time. I also agree on moving over to Social Media. Years ago I used to still do quite well on Instagram competitions but I don’t bother now as it always has 1000s of entrants and says ‘tag people for entry’, I don’t particularly like bombarding friends with tags! Amazing on the wine though :) well done on that one!

  • pebbles691
    pebbles691 Posts: 83
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    @WoodyWoody6 I think I’ll give it a few more months then if nothing might take another break for a bit. It is like a full time job sometimes but when a win comes in it is such a nice feeling! When was your last win?

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.