We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Savings interest - self assessment

Yorkie1
Yorkie1 Posts: 13,182
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
Forumite

I know that if you have more than £10K interest on savings, you should be completing a self-assessment tax return.

Is this just taxable savings interest? I have less than £10K taxable interest, but when you add the ISA interest it goes above that figure.

Comments

  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 4,265
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    You DON'T declare ISA interest at all.

  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 13,182
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Thanks @Ayr_Rage

    I don't complete SA at present; it was just when I noticed my overall figures just now, I had a mental blank.

  • Newbie_John
    Newbie_John Posts: 1,912
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Well you don't complete SA, but if you gained £9k in interests (ignoring ISA as it's tax free) then you will still pay tax on it.

    There are also other random elements that count towards interests - Nationwide Fair Share £100, certain gains in GIA for example from Short Term Money Market etc.

  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 13,182
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Yes, thanks. Fair share accounted for. I realise I pay tax through my adjusted tax code on the non-ISA interest. It was just the £10K that was temporarily bothering me.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.