We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Self-employed status with HMRC if off work for more than a year?

CoyKarp
CoyKarp Posts: 29
10 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 1 May at 12:21PM in Cutting tax

I am a self-employed sole trader and have been for many years. Last year in October, mostly for health reasons, I started a sabbatical. At the time of posting, May 2026, I am still off work and living on savings.

If I remained off work and did not earn anything at all in the current 26-27 tax year, what would happen to my two self-employed businesses in the eyes of HMRC? Would they be automatically closed?

Would it be better that I did at least a small amount of work during this year, just to keep things straightforward?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.