We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Self assessment completed - where can I see any refunds due?

As above, thanks.

Last week Thursday I completed our self-assessment tax returns online.

Somewhere on the website I noted that HMRC owned me money from last year but also wants money for 2025/6 and 2026 - ie so-called "balancing payments."

My question is as per thread title. I saw the amount and completed my bank details etc and the message said 3 working days—nothing yet ie no payments

I logged back into the online account but can't find/recall which page/title the refund due was under; please help.

Comments

  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 2,229
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    If you are logged into your personal tax account just click on self assessment and it will tell you your balance and if you owe money.

    3 working days sounds a bit quick for a refund, and if you completed it on Thursday, this is only the 3rd working day afterwards anyway.

  • UnsureAboutthis
    UnsureAboutthis Posts: 688
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Thank you. The figure they own me, I was allowed to withdraw it. The tax calculation does not take that into account.

    I will wait until Thursday and give the HMRC self-assessment a call but getting through has taken over an hour in the past

    The amount owned to me was a sperate page, I cannot recall how I landed there and that is what I want to know.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.