We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Long term planning - reduce tax bill

2

Comments

  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 13,186
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    If you're looking at cash savings rather than investments, do you have any funds in premium bonds? Not a guaranteed return, but whatever you get is tax free

  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 19,508
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Quite a few of the things you mention aren't saving you any tax at all.

    They may be very sensible things to be doing but aren't achieving what you seem to be primarily focused on.

  • kermchem
    kermchem Posts: 290
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Just spotted that OP is putting the annual allowance of £60k per year into his pension and that because he earns over £100k they do not get any childcare assistance. Just checking, is that over £100k income after the pension contributions?

  • mither_2
    mither_2 Posts: 236
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.

    My thinking is to just keep paying as much as I can into my pension and encourage my wife to put in as much as she can. If I pay for everything the she has less need for her pension and can do so.

    "Paying into a pension does not reduce your tax liability as such, it is more about getting tax relief paid into your pension. She could add more to her workplace pension or a personal pension, but as she is reducing her hours further, her reduced income will limit how much she can add to either of course."

    My undestanding is that there is a tax benefit as any money I pay into my pension via salary sacrific reduces my taxable income and also I don't pay any NI on the amount? When I come to take it out I'll have to pay tax but this (hopefully) will be a lower rate than the 40/%45% that I woudl pay on it now. There is also the potential to take a tax free lump sum.

    Of course this is all subject to changes to the pension rules, which are quite possible in the intervening 15 - 20 years.

    Have I misunderstood anything here?

    I also did some reading on SEIS. Too complicated and risky for me.

  • mither_2
    mither_2 Posts: 236
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Yes, this year anyway. Mostly my sdalary would be lower and so I would put enough in my pension to take my taxable income below £100k and so receive some free childcare hours.

  • mither_2
    mither_2 Posts: 236
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    How are they not? Please can you expand. I'm not doubting you, I jsut want to undertans better. My assumption is that salary sacrifice copntributiosn into my pension and having money in ISAs (combination of cash ISAs and S&S ISAs) rather than taxable interest accounts would be more tax efficient?

  • mither_2
    mither_2 Posts: 236
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    My wife is still in her 30s and so can open a lifetime ISA. They seem pretty good to me. Is there a catch that I'm missing?

  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,745
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 15 May at 9:37PM

    I think he is coming at this from a does it get a tax deduction point of view. Yes salary sacrifice pension contributions reduce your salary and so you pay tax on a lower amount than otherwise so that saves you tax. But contributing to an ISA of itself does not get you a tax deduction. Yes any income or gains in the ISA are outside of tax but paying £20k into an ISA doesn't get you a £20k tax deduction.

    Investing in VCTs EIS or SEIS would get you a tax deduction but you may never see that money again.

    Charitable giving using Gift Aid would get you a tax deduction but of course that means giving money away. That may go against the grain. But there are some memberships which can use gift aid (National Trust?) or if you visit somewhere like Kew Gardens or Hampton Court you may be able to claim the price of the ticket.

    ETA - I will probably get pulled up on the gift aid bit - it will increase your higher rate tax threshold so not actually a tax deduction as such. Just more income taxed at a lower rate.

  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 51,433
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Name Dropper
    Ambassador

    Penalties on withdrawal, meaning you get less back than you put in, unless withdrawal is for buying your first home or retirement. Retirement may seem a long way away when you are in your 30s.

    I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.