We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Take Home Pay

Hi all, over the last couple of years I have been fortunate enough to be earning enough to get in to the 40% tax band, but this year I decided to up my pension contributions to pull myself back out of the bracket.

My first paycheck does not match what I though the tax should be and after asking payroll they have given me figures which still show me in the higher rate bracket respite now having a lower gross after increasing my pension contributions. Can anyone understand why I still have some in higher bracket?

The screenshot shows my adjusted gross.

Much appreciated

S

Comments

  • crazzzy
    crazzzy Posts: 4
    First Post
    Newbie

    Just to add my allowance was reduced this year to £10840, and the calculation attached was from an online calculator which has given the same figures as payroll but I just don't understand why

  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,314
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 27 April at 2:20PM

    The reason is due to the reduction in your tax code.

    You get £10840 tax free and then the 20% tax band of £37700 to give £48540 total before the 40% tax band starts.

    What explanation were you given for this reduction?

  • crazzzy
    crazzzy Posts: 4
    First Post
    Newbie

    I think is similar to what payroll have just got back to me with, so if I understand correctly, the upper limit isn't actually a fixed £50270 but the band is 37700 for 20%? so upper limit will change based on my allowance, cheeky ********'s!! (government that is not you 😂)

  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,314
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    When HMRC do a year end calculatiuon you will get the £12570 tax allowance and the £37700 20% tax allowance. Depending on the reason for the tax code adjustment there will then be an adjustment to your tax owed figure. The adjustment made to your tax code at the moment is an estimate of adjustment they will be making ( for example might be tax owed for last year) at the year end.

    Do you know why they feel you owe extra tax that requires this adjustment?

  • crazzzy
    crazzzy Posts: 4
    First Post
    Newbie

    I had the additional £1000 allowance from my wife, but then she started working and it took me a bit of time to update it, as I was lazy, so that's likely the reason for the different tax code an allowance. I had done all my calculations based on the upper limit being £50270 and not the range being £37700 so it make a bit more sense taking that in to account

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.