We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
New Job with Employment Overlap
Hi, I am currently in the process of leaving a job and joining a new one. I left the previous Job in february and started working at the new one immediatly, however, I am still employed by the previous company and receiving monthly pay from them until the 30th of June. I have not yet been paid by my new employer but will be at the end of this month, where I will receive 2 and a half months worth of pay on top of the monthly pay from my previous.
How can I minimise the effect this will have on my tax for this and the following year?
Comments
-
Pension contribution likely your best option.
Sense is not common.0 -
What tax effect do you anticipate, e.g. is the extra income likely to tip you into another tax band?
0 -
Are you anticipating not being taxed enough as you will get two lots of allowances in the same month?
When you joined the new company did you complete a new starters form stating you had another job?0 -
We are only at the start of the financial year, so the following year won’t be affected . For this year you will have more income than otherwise. Increased pension contribution would reduce tax, though you may just see this as a financial gain on which you have to pay some tax.
I'm a Forum Ambassador on the housing, mortgages & student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.0 -
Hello. We have a useful guidance page on our website which sets out information on your tax position when changing jobs: https://www.litrg.org.uk/working/employment/changing-jobswork-changes . This includes information on what you should do if you don't have a form P45, which may be the case for you as you have not yet left your current (soon to be former) employment.
“Official Company Representative
I am an official representative of LITRG (Low Incomes Tax Reform Group) part of the Chartered Institute of Taxation who are an educational charity. We are not part of MSE or HMRC. MSE has given permission for me to post on the Forum but this does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation or its products by MSE. We can’t give individual advice, but if you require further help, we recommend that you contact a tax adviser, HMRC or one of the tax charities where relevant. You can find more information about where to get help with tax here. If you believe I am posting inappropriately please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

