We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Self assessment 2024 to 25 late
I recently received a letter stating I need to complete a self assessment tax return. Never done one before and always been PAYE
I have registered and .logged in to see the return is flagged as late and a warning of penalties and file now message.
Also file within 3 months of date of the letter.
How can it be late if the letter requesting it is dated 10 April 2026.
I am panicking now as I've got to get it done by 9 July especially as I no one who can help.
Comments
-
Existing thread:
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6663169/self-assessment-idiots-guide-wanted/p1
1 -
Why do you need to file a return?
Untaxed interest over £10k?
You always a minimum of 3 months to file a return before late filing penalties are applied. Late payment and interest is different though.
Have you started to complete it yet? Most sections probably aren't even relevant to you.
0 -
The same has happened to me and my wife.
Don't Panic
It's badly worded and really caters for those who post in advance, with sentences saying you must complete and pay by 31 January 26 etc. HMRC doesn't appear to have a specific page for us late submitters. Disregard the dates in the web site and just do what was stated on your letter.
I found some of the wording difficult.eg:
Payment on Account - is pay up front
And the two parts regarding payments brought forward from a previous year or carry forward to the next year difficult...eskbanker on this forum clarified that one for me.
You can dabble with the Wizard, change it as many times as you like and even delete the whole thing and start again AS LONG AS YOU DON'T Submit IT. The more you dabble with it the more confident you will become.
And you can always get help on this forum
Butt Spelle Chequers Two Khan Make Awe Full Miss Steaks1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

