We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Self Assessment with high Property Repairs problem
I have done self assessment for several years as I have a rental property. This year, I needed to replace the kitchen. It was old and it is a like for like replacement so classed as a property repair.
When I enter the costs on the self-assessment form, I get a big red warning banner to say that the costs are higher than expected. They are correct so I ignored this and filled in the rest of the pages.
When I get to the end and view my calculation, none of the property details are included. When I move back through the pages all of the costs are still saved in the boxes on all of the property pages, so my values are saved but aren't included in my calculation.
Any idea how I resolve this? Thank you!!
Comments
-
Double check the boxes then maybe tell us what is/isn't populated?
0 -
Does Box 40 show a taxable profit for the year?
0 -
These are the boxes I completed in the Property section. The data is still in them and the "Summary for UK property" figure that is auto-calculated is correct i.e. a loss rather than a gain.
However, on the "view your calculation" page, there is no mention of any property details, no income, no expenses. The only related value is "tax relief on finance costs".
How many properties do you rent out? (optional)
Total rents and other income from property: (optional)
Rent, rates, insurance, ground rents etc: (optional)
Property repairs and maintenance: (optional)
Legal, management and other professional fees: (optional)
Rent, rates, insurance, ground rents etc: (optional)
Property repairs and maintenance: (optional)
Legal, management and other professional fees: (optional)
Cost of replacing domestic items - for residential lettings only: (optional)
Residential property finance costs: (optional)
0 -
No, it says "Not Entered". Should I have entered it manually? i haven't in the past but perhaps things have changed?
0 -
So, comparing to my return for last year…
2024/25
I made a profit from property and this is shown on the income section of the summarised tax calculation
2025/26
I made a loss on property but this is not shown on the summarised calculation. I would have expected to see it as a negative number but there's just zilch mentioned. So how do I get my loss built into the calculation or does it not work that way? Do I pay tax on a profit, but a loss doesn't reduce my income?
Apologies if this is really basic but I haven't needed to report a loss before.
0 -
Do I need to carry the loss forward to next year and if so, how do I report that? Does it go on this year's form or next year's form?
0 -
Ah You have a loss. So are any of boxes 41 to 43 filled in? I notice box 42 says This will be unusual.
I think box 40 is auto-completed so you don't enter a figure there yourself. But if you have a loss then presumably it should be empty (I am not sure if NOT ENTERED is a bad thing or not but I don't think it is)
0 -
Does the loss go in this box of this year's form?
"Loss to carry forward to following year, including unused losses brought forward: (optional)"
0 -
Those boxes are all empty so i think I put my loss into this box "Loss to carry forward to following year, including unused losses brought forward: (optional)" I'm on the website not app so my boxes aren't numbered.
0 -
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards