We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

POA for My First SA

Shylock_249
Shylock_249 Posts: 260
Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
Forumite

Hi,

I’ve had to complete SA for FY 24/25. I’ve entered the figures and proceeded through the wizard.

Having got to View Your Calculation and notice that HMRC says I owe £1937.oo but I know I have paid them £2045 for the same tax year. In my reckoning they owe me £108.oo. Understood.

But later on they ask me to make POA of half of the £1937 in two equal payments.

Then there is an option to Reduce POA and I can reduce it to NIL. Should I do that?

If I select NOT to reduce and HMRC rectify the figures saying they owe me the £108 will they cancel the POAs?

Is POA just HMRC using that system to recover some tax during the financial year rather than just once at the end of the FY, where with PAYE they would be collecting it monthly?

Thanks in Advance

Butt Spelle Chequers Two Khan Make Awe Full Miss Steaks

Comments

  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 19,508
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Now that the 2025/26 tax year has ended you will presumably have a decent idea of the liability for that year.

    It seems unlikely that cancelling them would be the correct option, but reducing them might be appropriate once you have an idea of your actual liability. And it doesn't matter why you owe tax for 2025/26, that is totally irrelevant for POA purposes.

    POA are perfectly normal for people owing more than £1,000 on a Self Assessment calculation.

  • Shylock_249
    Shylock_249 Posts: 260
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Thanks, I haven't completed SA for 25/26 because I'm waiting for P60s from my 3 pension providers.

    If HMRC has taken the correct tax from those pensions, taking into account the estimated (I actually gave HMRC the exact figure in 25/26 because all my taxable bank accounts had paid the interest in 1925) bank interest my balance should be near zero, so I'd be loathe to make Payments On Account of £1937 when the following years tax bill was nil if you see what I mean?

    Back to my original post: "If I select NOT to reduce and HMRC rectify the figures saying they owe me the £108 will they cancel the POAs?"

    Sorry, it's just lack of knowledge on my behalf, and I was born awkward.

    Butt Spelle Chequers Two Khan Make Awe Full Miss Steaks
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 19,508
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    No, the £108 has absolutely no relevance to the POA whatsoever.

    How confident are you that you won't owe any tax at all for 2025/26?

    If you reduce the POA to £0 and you owe say £50 then each POA will be reinstated to £25 and you would be charged interest (at a chunky rate) on any tax that is paid late.

  • Shylock_249
    Shylock_249 Posts: 260
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Thanks.

    "How confident are you that you won't owe any tax at all for 2025/26?"

    Considering it was done by PAYE I have NO confidence whatsoever! I'm unable to deduce if every time they raised a P2 that at the end of the FY they would have the correct figures. They never have been.

    I'm probably better just paying it and suck it and see.

    What happens if for instance they ask for 2k in two payments and at the end of the year I owe 4k?

    I have to complete the 24/25 by 9 July.

    Thanks again

    Butt Spelle Chequers Two Khan Make Awe Full Miss Steaks
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 19,508
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    If you mean £1k each POA (for 2025/26) and the actual liability is £4k then the POA would remain £1k each and you would have a Balancing Payment of £2k to pay by 31 January 2027.

    And likely a POA of £2k to pay on 31 January 2027 for 2026/27 as well.

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,326
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Your £108 is tax overpaid for 24/25.


    The payments on account are for 25/26 and are based on your tax payable for 24/25 which is £1937.

    These POAs will only be recalculated when you submit your 25/26 return.

    Alternatively, you can reduce them if you are sure you will not have to pay that amount. But if you reduce them too much then interest will be charged on late payment.

  • Shylock_249
    Shylock_249 Posts: 260
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Thanks, that has helped me understand the system much better.

    Thanks again.

    Butt Spelle Chequers Two Khan Make Awe Full Miss Steaks
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.